We are putting the call out to everyone in NSW; those who could make excellent firefighters but may not have necessarily considered it. At Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) we do more than fight fires.
2019 Recruitment Campaign
Applications for the 2019 Recruitment Campaign will open Friday 12 July 2019. Now is the time to start training to become Fire Fit.
WAFA PAT Induction practice sessions
FRNSW and Women and Firefighting Australasia (WAFA) are hosting Physical Aptitude Test (PAT) information days for women interested in becoming firefighters. Sessions are 2.5 hours in duration and will include hands-on interaction with the PAT task course followed by a strength and conditioning workshop focusing on effective physical preparation for the PAT. Places are limited, so click here to learn more and sign up to secure your place. [external link]
Stay up to date with our recruitment campaign
Register your details below to receive regular updates about our next Firefighter Recruitment Campaign.
Join the team that’s prepared for anything
Fire and Rescue NSW is a world-class emergency service organisation.
We are looking for more men and women who can commit to our values of respect, integrity, service and courage.
Being a firefighter is no ordinary job. The work is varied, challenging and rewarding, often operating in confronting and stressful situations, particularly when people are injured or threatened with injury and loss of life.
Our firefighters are an intelligent, highly skilled, ethical and professional team of men and women from all walks of life, who are prepared for anything.
We help anyone, anywhere, anytime, responding to any emergency necessary and we are passionate about safety, education and prevention.
Learn more about information sessions and important dates in the application and selection process.
Firefighting is a physically demanding occupation. This guide has been developed to assist candidates in preparing for the Physical Aptitude Test (PAT).
The 2019 Candidate Information Pack is now available.
Recruitment for firefighters at Fire and Rescue NSW is the largest NSW Government recruitment process in operation. This results in a competitive, multi-stage process aimed at identifying the very best candidates for the job.
The firefighter recruitment campaign takes up to five months to complete and consists of three main sections:
- Submit your application online
- Online assessments
- Physical Aptitude Test (PAT)
- Stage 1 - Assessment of the two targeted questions by recruitment panel(s)
- Stage 2 - The online verification assessment
- Stage 3 - Interview
The stages are explored in more detail in the Candidate Information Pack and above, including how candidates will be selected to progress forward:
- Candidates must be successful at each recruitment stage to be considered eligible to progress to the next stage.
- Progress updates will be notified by email.
- The information session is conducted to help candidates understand the process and prepare. Please join the Fire and Rescue NSW Facebook and Twitter pages for regular updates on the information session or check key dates and information session bookings section of this site.
- The information session is recorded for viewing on this site after the event
- FRNSW is committed to ensuring that security, integrity and privacy is not compromised at any stage of the recruitment process and will carry out systematic ID checks and online test verification.
A comprehensive list of recruitment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found here.