Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding fire bans and other fire restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking the NSW Rural Fire Service website [external link], listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Hazard reduction at Green Point Reserve, Valentine
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at the western end of Green Point Reserve, Valentine, today...
Friday 27th November 2015
South Grafton Fire Station celebrates 100 years
Member for Clarence, Chris Gulaptis, and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today joined firefighters and community representatives to celebrate South Grafton Fire Station’s 100th anniversary. Commissioner Mullins said...
Friday 13th November 2015
Firies warning after fatal house fires
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has called for the community to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home, following recent fatal house fires in NSW. Three people died...
Thursday 12th November 2015
City of Sydney Fire Station opening it's doors for Sydney Open 2015
Ever wondered what goes on inside the State’s busiest fire station? As part of Sydney Open 2015, City of Sydney Fire Station will be throwing open the engine bay doors...
Thursday 29th October 2015
Lane Cove National Park hazard reduction
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) and Ku-ring-gai Council will undertake hazard reduction operations in Lane Cove National Park and Browns End Reserve, Wahroonga,...
Thursday 8th October 2015
Hazard reductions at Morisset
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Morisset this week, pending favourable conditions.Today, Thursday, 13...
Thursday 13th August 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Dec 2, 2015, 11:39 am - ELANORA HEIGHTS | #FRNSW 1ha haz red'n burn underway, Dewrang Reserve. Smoke in the area. @aboutPittwater http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/671851225038520320/photo/1 [external link]
- Dec 2, 2015, 11:17 am - DUBBO | #FRNSW crews on the scene of a chemical spill at a storage & distribution warehouse, Jannali Rd. 15 staff self-evac'd.
- Dec 2, 2015, 9:52 am - Smoke alarms save lives but what if you can't hear? Watch how @deafsocietynsw is subsidising special alarms. #FRNSW http://bit.ly/1l68bdj [external link]
- Dec 1, 2015, 2:37 pm - RT @BOM_NSW: Severe Thunderstorm Warning Issued for Large Hail, Damaging Wind & Heavy Rainfall #NSWStorms … http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN65156.shtml [external link] http://twitter.com/BOM_NSW/status/671505547758280705/photo/1 [external link]
- Dec 1, 2015, 2:07 pm - DUBBO | #FRNSW at wool truck rollover, Newell Hwy. F/fighters rendering 1300-litre diesel spill safe.1 person taken to hospital.
- Dec 1, 2015, 1:27 pm - THIRLMERE | #FRNSW at truck accident, West Pde. Truck carrying train carriage has overturned & spilled 500L fuel & oil onto road.
- Dec 1, 2015, 12:01 pm - INGLEBURN/DENHAM COURT UPDATE | #FRNSW & #NSWRFS have contained a 1ha grass #fire n/b on M5. 1 lane closed. Traffic affected.
- Dec 1, 2015, 11:47 am - DENHAM COURT | #FRNSW & #NSWRFS at a grass #fire n/b Hume Hwy nr Campbelltown Rd. Traffic affected. @LiveTrafficSyd for traffic updates.
- Nov 30, 2015, 6:19 pm - In between calls, (#Burwood) #FRNSW firefighters spreading the #fire safety & future recruitment message. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/671226913243852800/photo/1 [external link]
- Nov 30, 2015, 2:30 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Total Fire Bans tomorrow, 1 Dec - Lower Central West Plains, Sth Ranges, Illawarra/Shoalhaven, Far Sth Coast #NSWRFS … http://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/671166569091899392/photo/1 [external link]
- Nov 30, 2015, 1:13 pm - BOTANY | UPDATE: F/fighters containing #fire to blding of origin. Blding collapsing. Internal crews withdrawn. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/671149927230275584/photo/1 [external link]
- Nov 30, 2015, 12:53 pm - BOTANY | UPDATE: F/fighting ops at blaze in a 40x50m 2-lvl shopfitter's blding continue. Crews working to protect 2 n'bring props.