Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 29, 2015, 5:11 am - STOCKTON | #FRNSW f/fighters have contained a house #fire, most of the home destroyed. House vacant at time of fire.
- May 28, 2015, 11:10 am - Only 2 days til #FRNSW's Fire Station Open Day this Saturday, 30 May, 10am-2pm, at more than 300 fire stations. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/603729979860512768/photo/1 [external link]
- May 28, 2015, 11:05 am - BANKSTOWN | #FRNSW f/fighters at a house #fire. Smoke issuing. Fire believed to be in kitchen. Fire ops underway.
- May 28, 2015, 9:15 am - EPPING | #FRNSW f/fighters working to rescue 1 trapped person after a 2 car accident on Ray Rd. @LiveTrafficSyd for traffic updates.
- May 28, 2015, 5:47 am - FORSTER | #FRNSW crews have exting'd unit #fire, heavy smoke. 1 person being treated for smoke inhal'n.
- May 27, 2015, 9:19 pm - WILTON | #FRNSW crews investigating chemical spill on Hume Hwy, no injuries reported
- May 27, 2015, 8:59 pm - #FRNSW staff before doing a lap of honour on field with other emergency services, #StateofOrigin #blues http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/603515978513666048/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2015, 7:42 pm - BLACKTOWN | #FRNSW exting'ing #fire underneath single storey premises. 2 ppl treated for smoke inhal'n. Fire ops continuing
- May 27, 2015, 11:55 am - GULGONG | #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire. Fire started in kitchen. 1 resident with minor smoke inhl'n.
- May 27, 2015, 11:54 am - CAMPBELLTOWN | #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house fire. Fire in the kitchen. Crews ventilating the house.
- May 27, 2015, 10:59 am - #Bondi #fire started in kitchen - 14th kitchen #fire since Monday. #FRNSW #winterfiresafety. http://on.fb.me/1GC5uYn [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/603364776882917377/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2015, 10:17 am - BONDI | UPDATE: #FRNSW at a house #fire. Fire started in kitchen. Multiple Triple Zero (000) calls. Flames through roof. Fire ops continue.