Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 3:24 pm - With the icy weather hitting NSW, #FRNSW reminds residents to be home #fire safe. #ReAlarm http://bit.ly/28QBF85 [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/746212291494875136/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 1:39 pm - RT @MoF_Sydney: 9 #pumps and a #hydraulicplatform called to #TyreFactory #Fire 28 September 2000, #FlashbackFriday #FRNSW #firies … http://twitter.com/MoF_Sydney/status/746130958210957313/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 11:58 am - GREENACRE | @9NewsSyd pics after firies rescued fish from tank in n/bring blding under threat earlier today. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/746160549105262592/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 8:25 am - GREENACRE | UPDATE: Crews have contained #fire to 2 bldings after stopping spread through roof to n'bring prop. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/746107001030082560/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 6:41 am - GREENACRE | UPDATE: #Fire spread to adjoining bldings. Crews working to cut it off. Wall collapses. Ops cont. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/746080832704503808/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 6:09 am - GREENACRE | UPDATE: Crews using high-rise & foam f/fighting trucks in fire fight involving 2 premises. Ops cont. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/746072755888496640/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 24, 2016, 5:25 am - GREENACRE | #FRNSW crews continuing to fight #fire in wrecking yard, Rosedale Ave. 2 bldings alight. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/746061557256249344/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 23, 2016, 3:52 pm - ST PETERS | UPDATE: F/fighters using foam to extinguish fire which is nearly out. Fire is not impacting on other vehicles in yard.
- Jun 23, 2016, 3:39 pm - ST PETERS | #FRNSW crews responding to a large forklift alight in yard of premises, Burrows Rd. F/fighting ops underway.
- Jun 23, 2016, 2:53 pm - GLENRIDDNG | UPDATE: Most of building #fire is out. F/fighters putting out last pockets of fire inside.
- Jun 23, 2016, 2:19 pm - GLENRIDDING, Singleton | #FRNSW at a 30x30m blding alight, Waterworks Lane. F/fighters have put out grass fire next to blding.
- Jun 21, 2016, 9:26 am - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: SYDNEY HARBOUR TUNNEL: Closed s/b due to truck and car accident. Diversions on to bridge. Allow extra time.