Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Permanent Firefighter Recruitment Campaign
Applications open 16 May 2016. If you're an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
Statement regarding EPA investigation
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has advised Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) that preliminary testing of water samples taken from collection ponds at training sites at Londonderry and Albion...
Friday 19th February 2016
Be a Hydrant Hero, today
Throughout the month of February, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are urging residents and businesses to find the water hydrant on the footpath and street closest to their home...
Friday 5th February 2016
2015 a deadly year for house fires
There were 17 accidental fire deaths and more than 4,070 home fires in NSW in 2015 making it a deadly year for home fires. The latest Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW)...
Tuesday 5th January 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 4, 2016, 7:58 am - CHISWICK | UPDATE: #Fire is out and crews have stopped fire spread into other rooms.
- May 4, 2016, 7:55 am - PUNCHBOWL | UPDATE: F/fighters have #fire under control. 20 ppl evac'd from unit block. Traffic impacted - avoid area.
- May 4, 2016, 7:50 am - CHISWICK | #FRNSW f/fighters have contained #fire in a bedroom at back of house, Blackwall Point Rd. 2 ppl treated for smoke inhal.
- May 4, 2016, 7:45 am - PUNCHBOWL | #FRNSW crews at a unit #fire, Canterbury Rd. Fire is in a 2nd level unit. All occ's out. F/fighting ops under way.
- May 3, 2016, 3:15 pm - WEST PENNANT HILLS | #FRNSW crews on scene at a bush & grass fire, near Virginia Pl. Smoke visible in the area, fire ops. underway.
- May 3, 2016, 2:47 pm - MELROSE PARK | #FRNSW crews at a single-lvl house well alight, Crowley Cr. Lots of smoke. F/fighting ops underway.
- May 2, 2016, 2:59 pm - QUEANBEYAN | #FRNSW crews at a unit #fire, Mowatt St. #Fire on 2nd level. F/fighting ops under way.
- May 1, 2016, 11:36 pm - ROCKDALE update | fire contained to the church, adj. saved by #FRNSW crews. Approx. 100 firefighters on scene at height of fire ops.
- May 1, 2016, 10:33 pm - 2/2 being protected. Numerous #FRNSW crews on scene - avoid the area.
- May 1, 2016, 10:32 pm - ROCKDALE update | 2 firefighters with minor injuries. Church well alight/partially collapsed. Nursing home evac'd, adj. block of flats 1/2
- May 1, 2016, 10:13 pm - ROCKDALE | large fire ops. underway - church well alight. Adj. nursing home being evac'd for safety, all services on scene.
- May 1, 2016, 10:03 pm - ROCKDALE | Church on Frederick St. well alight. #FRNSW crews on scene protecting adj. buildings, fire ops. well underway.