Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Hazard reductions at Morisset
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Morisset this week, pending favourable conditions.Today, Thursday, 13...
Thursday 13th August 2015
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Sep 5, 2015, 6:52 am - RANDWICK o/nite | 1 person to hosp. with burns & smoke inhal'n after a #fire in a unit. Fire ext., 500ppl evac'd during fire ops. #FRNSW
- Sep 5, 2015, 6:43 am - SMITHFIELD 4:30am | #FRNSW on scene at a waste paper #fire. Heavy equip. pulling waste piles apart so FFs can ext. hot spots.
- Sep 4, 2015, 4:58 pm - SYDNEY CBD | UPDATE: F/fighters have put car fire out. Awaiting tow truck to remove vehicle and clear lanes.
- Sep 4, 2015, 4:45 pm - SYDNEY CBD | #FRNSW at a car well alight, w'bnd Western Distributor nr Market St. Traffic gridlocked. Avoid the area.
- Sep 4, 2015, 2:54 pm - SMITHFIELD | #FRNSW at a home kitchen #fire, Rowley St. F/fighters checking for #fire spread. Woman treated for smoke inhal & burns.
- Sep 3, 2015, 12:17 pm - RT @nswpolice: Celebrating 100 Years of Women in Policing. Street parade in #Sydney #NSW http://twitter.com/nswpolice/status/639260186650083330/photo/1 [external link]
- Sep 3, 2015, 12:08 pm - PYRMONT | UPDATE: Gas leak at Jones Ln stopped. Area now safe.
- Sep 3, 2015, 11:26 am - PYRMONT | #FRNSW f/fighters at a gas leak on Jones Ln. Approx 10 ppl evac'd. 1 lane of Western Distributor nr Anzac Bridge affected.
- Sep 3, 2015, 8:57 am - BATHURST | #FRNSW crews conducting air monitoring after reports of a gas smell in a chain store, Bentinck St. Approx 80 ppl evac'd.
- Sep 2, 2015, 11:40 pm - MILTON | UPDATE: F/fighters knocking down fire. Excl'n zone in place. Approx 20 ppl evac'd from n'bring props. Hwy currently closed.
- Sep 2, 2015, 11:12 pm - MILTON | UPDATE: F/fighting ops continue with 20mx20m blding engulfed in #fire. F/fighters working to protect n'bring bldings.
- Sep 2, 2015, 10:38 pm - MILTON nr Ulladulla | #FRNSW at a #fire in a tyre service centre, Princes Hwy. Blding well alight & fire through roof. @NSWRFS assisting.