Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Aug 5, 2015, 7:14 pm - BOTANY | UPDATE: Fire in front room of house is out. #FRNSW crews clearing smoke from home.
- Aug 5, 2015, 6:58 pm - BOTANY | F/fighting ops under way at a house #fire, Tenterden St. Room well alight. Elderly woman has been evac'd from premises.
- Aug 5, 2015, 3:13 pm - CANTERBURY | UPDATE: #Fire in a single-lvl house is out. Home's contents are badly fire-damaged.
- Aug 5, 2015, 1:58 pm - CANTERBURY | UPDATE: #Fire at back of the house. Search completed and no one inside. Position in hand. F/fighting ops continue.
- Aug 5, 2015, 1:32 pm - CANTERBURY | #FRNSW crews working to contain house #fire. House well alight, fire ops underway.
- Aug 5, 2015, 1:24 pm - COONAMBLE house #fire update | all ppl. accounted for - fire ops. cont. #NSWRFS also on scene assisting #FRNSW crews.
- Aug 5, 2015, 1:13 pm - COONAMBLE | #FRNSW at a house #fire - home well alight when crews arrived. Fire ops. underway.
- Aug 5, 2015, 12:36 pm - BLACKALLS PARK | UPDATE: #Fire is out. Appears to have started in the kitchen. Firies clearing smoke & checking for fire spread.
- Aug 5, 2015, 12:29 pm - BLACKALLS PARK, Lake Macquarie | #FRNSW called to smoke coming from a house, Coronation St. 1 man with smoke inhal. Crews investigating.
- Aug 5, 2015, 11:04 am - #FRNSW crews currently exting'ing two #fires in homes caused by heaters - #Coonamble & #WestNowra. Keep all items 1m from the heater.
- Aug 5, 2015, 11:03 am - #FRNSW crews currently exting'ing two #fires in homes caused by heaters in #Coonamble & #WestNowra. Keep all items 1m from the heater.
- Aug 5, 2015, 4:01 am - MUSWELLBROOK | UPDATE: #Fire has destroyed house in Lower Hill St. Powerlines down. Occ's accounted for. @NSWRFS also on scene.