Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Floods and storms information
For emergency help in floods and storms call the SES on 132 500. Call Triple Zero (000) for life-threatening emergencies.
For tips on what your family can do to prepare for storms, visit www.stormsafe.com.au [external link]
Product warnings and recalls
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
Hazard reduction at Kilaben Bay
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is undertaking a hazard reduction operation at Kilaben Bay today (Friday, March 27).From 9.30am, eight FRNSW crews will carry out a 6.52ha hazard reduction...
Friday 27th March 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Apr 25, 2015, 7:09 am - COOKS HILL | #FRNSW investigating a gas leak, Council St. Nearby residents evac'd for safety. @nswpolice also on scene.
- Apr 24, 2015, 4:05 pm - BELMORE | UPDATE: F/fighting ops continue at factory fire. High-rise firefighting truck at work. 2 ppl with burns taken to hospital.
- Apr 24, 2015, 3:16 pm - NARROMINE | #FRNSW & @NSWRFS at a hay shed well alight, Tomingley Rd. Large amount of smoke. Multiple fire hoses at work.
- Apr 24, 2015, 3:11 pm - BELMORE | #FRNSW crews responding to a fire in a workshop, Harp St. Blding well alight when f/fighters arrived. All accounted for.
- Apr 24, 2015, 2:53 pm - NARRABEEN | UPDATE: House has been brought down. #FRNSW f/fighters now dampening it down to reduce dust cloud. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/591464909289848832/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 24, 2015, 12:03 pm - NEWCASTLE | Firefighters on scene of ruptured gas main, Wharf Rd - 100m exclusion zone in place
- Apr 24, 2015, 11:58 am - NARRABEEN | UPDATE: #FRNSW crews bringing in heavy equipment to demolish house that's threatening to topple http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/591420795785768960/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 24, 2015, 11:49 am - ST MARYS | #FRNSW crews working to contain electrical #fire in above ground transformer, West Lane - 80m radius cordoned off
- Apr 24, 2015, 9:01 am - #FRNSW Rapid Damage Assessment teams in Dungog to assess flood damage, assisting @NSWSES in recovery effort http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/591376296162164736/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 24, 2015, 6:37 am - COFFS HARBOUR | #FRNSW @NSWRFS cleaning up 2km diesel spill from a semi's ruptured fuel tank, #PacificHwy. Spill from Englands Rd-Lyons Rd.
- Apr 23, 2015, 9:11 pm - SINGLETON update | F/fighters putting out final hot spots after fire extended up through the roof at the back of the house.
- Apr 23, 2015, 9:01 pm - MIRANDA update (revised Gwawley Pde) | Lounge room #fire started by overloaded powerboards is out. No one home.