Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Aug 1, 2015, 10:12 am - BERRY #Firefighter championships well underway. Come and visit - Berry Showgrounds this Sat. & Sun. FREE entry. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/627270581163941888/photo/1 [external link]
- Aug 1, 2015, 7:47 am - RT @NSWRFS: #WentworthFalls Fire: Strong winds up to 70kph today will make controlling the fire difficult. Over 100 firefighters are on sce…
- Aug 1, 2015, 7:47 am - RT @NSWRFS: WATCH & ACT | BLUE MOUNTAINS | Wentworth Falls fire may impact on homes in next few hours. Info: #NSWRFS… http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/major-fire-updates/mfu?id=359 [external link]
- Jul 31, 2015, 4:35 pm - BLACKHEATH | #FRNSW assisting @nswpolice with rescue of 75 yo man who fell 14 steps at Govetts Leap.
- Jul 31, 2015, 9:30 am - EASTERN CREEK | UPDATE: #FRNSW remains at factory #fire. Fire still smouldering. Heavy earthmoving euip being used. Surrounding rds open.
- Jul 31, 2015, 6:31 am - WAGGA WAGGA | #FRNSW called to #fire in 3-bed house, Slocum St o'night. House destroyed. All ppl accounted for.
- Jul 30, 2015, 7:13 pm - WEST KEMPSEY | #Fire in single-lvl derelict house, Gordon Nixon Ave. #FRNSW crews putting out final hot spots. Extensive fire damage.
- Jul 30, 2015, 7:06 pm - EASTERN CREEK | #FRNSW settling in for a long night as crews cont. to ext. a large fire in a factory complex. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/626680190379241473/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 30, 2015, 6:14 pm - COONABARABRAN | #FRNSW assisting @NSWRFS at a single-lvl house #fire, Dandry Rd. Home well alight when crews arrived.
- Jul 30, 2015, 5:25 pm - EASTERN CREEK | UPDATE: Media at the factory fire are requested to meet Supt Ian Krimmer at the McDonald's restaurant.
- Jul 30, 2015, 5:04 pm - EASTERN CREEK | UPDATE: 100+ f/fighters at a factory #fire on Peter Brock Dr. 90 ppl evac'd. Fire contained. Fire ops continuing.
- Jul 30, 2015, 3:57 pm - EASTERN CREEK | #FRNSW at a bld'ing #fire on Peter Brock Dr. Multiple 000 calls. Collapsed bld'ing well alight. Fire ops underway.