Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
2015 Permanent Firefighter Recruitment Campaign
Applications for the 2015 Permanent Firefighter Recruitment Campaign are now open. Visit our Permanent Firefighter Recruitment page for further information.
Product warnings and recalls
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 6, 2015, 2:06 pm - CLIFTON | #FRNSW crews assisting with train stuck in a tunnel. No injuries. Trains stopped btw Scarborough & Coalcliff
- May 6, 2015, 12:36 pm - URUNGA | #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued a person from a car after a 2 vehicle accident on Pac Hwy.@LiveTrafficNSW for updates.
- May 5, 2015, 10:20 pm - NORTH STRATHFIELD | #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a unit #fire. Fire in 2nd lvl bedroom. 200 ppl evac'd & some treated for smoke inhl'n.
- May 5, 2015, 9:40 pm - RT @NSWRFS: #NSWRFS & @FRNSW have contained the fire which destroyed the Royal Hotel in Main St, Cudal, west of Orange. … http://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/595553640443576321/photo/1 [external link]
- May 5, 2015, 10:45 am - Applications to join #FRNSW's permanent f/fighting ranks are open. Are you the right fit? Meet some who are: http://bit.ly/1CoV8oU [external link]
- May 5, 2015, 10:08 am - BUCCA nr Coffs Harbour | #FRNSW aiding @NSWRFS at a crane which has fallen into a creek after a bridge broke, Buxner Park Rd. Driver out.
- May 5, 2015, 8:04 am - MEADOW FLAT nr Bathurst | #FRNSW at 2-truck acc, Great West'n Hwy. 1 truck on side leaking fuel. Containing spill. 2 w/bnd lanes shut.
- May 4, 2015, 7:23 pm - TAMWORTH | UPDATE:#FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire. 2 elderly residents evac'd & treated for burns, shock & heat exhaustion.
- May 4, 2015, 6:42 pm - TAMWORTH | #FRNSW f/fighters fighting a house #fire. House well alight. Fire ops underway.
- May 4, 2015, 10:20 am - BROOKVALE | #FRNSW f/fighters propping up partially-collapsed balcony, Consul Rd. Elec co. has cut power to wires attached to balcony.
- May 4, 2015, 10:00 am - Today, St Florian's Day, #FRNSW recognises the selfless dedication & bravery of f/fighters across the globe. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/595015133300011008/photo/1 [external link]
- May 3, 2015, 2:12 pm - 130+ #FRNSW f/fighters were recognised today for their bravery at major fires & emergencies. http://on.fb.me/1JhOFQV [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/594716241350107137/photo/1 [external link]