Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Firies and SES volunteers put helicopter rescue skills to the test
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters and NSW State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers put their flood rescue skills to the test today [26 February] in a series of exercises conducted...
Thursday 27th February 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW engines and firefighters head to Victoria
Ten Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) engines, including two specialist high-rise firefighting vehicles, and 30 firefighters headed to Victoria this afternoon to assist firefighters from the Victorian Fire Services, who...
Wednesday 19th February 2014
Applications open: Firefighter recruitment campaign starts
Today (30 January) Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) launches its 2014 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign. More than 7000 applicants applied for 96 firefighter positions in 2013 with the same if not...
Thursday 30th January 2014
Australia Day medal for longest serving fire officer
With 52 years of dedicated service to Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and the title of NSW’s longest serving professional firefighter, Mosman Fire Station commander Bill King has been awarded...
Sunday 26th January 2014
Local fire captain named in Australia Day Honours
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Balgownie Acting Captain Greg Fredericks’ long and dedicated service as a firefighter has been recognised in today’s Australia Day Honours. A firefighter for 55 years –...
Sunday 26th January 2014
Australia Day medal for senior fire officer
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Chief Superintendent Gerry Byrne has spent the past 30 years providing fire and emergency protection to the people of NSW and today he was named...
Sunday 26th January 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Mar 7, 2014, 5:18 pm - BERESFIELD | #FRNSW on scene at an overturned semi, John Renshaw Drv. & #M1 Motorway. @LiveTrafficNSW - traffic affected.
- Mar 7, 2014, 5:07 pm - #FRNSW firefighters providing #FirstAid to a man, approx 50 y/o, struck by lightning, Baulkham Hills.
- Mar 7, 2014, 10:44 am - AUDIO | House #fire fatality, Jamisontown. Interview with Supt. Paul Johnstone https://t.co/61Xlj0zqTr
- Mar 7, 2014, 7:41 am - #FRNSW crews have ext'd a 2 lvl house #fire at #CoffsHarbour. 1 person taken to hosp with burns. House significantly damaged by fire.
- Mar 7, 2014, 3:30 am - #FRNSW f/fighters rescued 1 person from house #fire - Jamisontown. Treated by f/fighters & @ASNSW on scene but sadly the person has died.
- Mar 7, 2014, 2:43 am - #FRNSW f/fighters rescued 1 person from house #fire - Jamisontown. Treated initially by f/fighters. Transported to hospital by @ASNSW.
- Mar 6, 2014, 3:00 pm - UPDATE #BoltonPoint: #FRNSW at a #fire in roof & bathroom of single lvl duplex. No one inside. Fire ops continuing.
- Mar 6, 2014, 2:57 pm - #FRNSW at a house #fire at #BrokenHill. Large amounts of smoke coming from house. Fire ops underway.
- Mar 6, 2014, 2:42 pm - #FRNSW at a #fire in the roof of a unit at #BoltonPoint. Fire ops underway.
- Mar 6, 2014, 12:20 pm - UPDATE #Merrylands: #FRNSW have ext'd a #fire in an underground storage area of unit complex. All residents accounted for.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station