Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply now to become a Permanent Firefighter
Applications are now open. If you're an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you. Applications close 30 May 2016 11:59PM.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
Statement regarding EPA investigation
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has advised Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) that preliminary testing of water samples taken from collection ponds at training sites at Londonderry and Albion...
Friday 19th February 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 25, 2016, 7:35 pm - ALEXANDRIA | UPDATE: #Fire in conveyor belt and on top of 3-storey asphalt bin is out.
- May 25, 2016, 7:30 pm - WARILLA, Shellharbour | #FRNSW has contained #fire in 3-car garage, Ulster Ave. Crews cooling venting LPG cylinders.
- May 25, 2016, 7:00 pm - REVESBY | UPDATE: F/fighters have suppressed most of #fire in car wrecking yard. 2ppl taken to hospital with burns.
- May 25, 2016, 6:51 pm - NORTH MANLY | UPDATE: house has been extensively damaged by #fire. 2ppl taken to hospital.
- May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm - ALEXANDRIA | UPDATE: #Fire is in a conveyor belt in factory. Crews gaining access.
- May 25, 2016, 6:00 pm - NORTH MANLY | UPDATE: F/fighting ops continue at #fire in 2-storey house. Crews working to protect n'bring props. Approx 12 ppl evac'd.
- May 25, 2016, 5:56 pm - ALEXANDRIA | #FRNSW crews responding to a #fire in an asphalt processing factory, Burrows Rd. F/fighting ops underway.
- May 25, 2016, 5:33 pm - NORTH MANLY | #FRNSW f/fighters at a house #fire, Austral Ave. 2 lvl house well alight. Fire ops underway.
- May 25, 2016, 5:30 pm - REVESBY | UPDATE: 100+ #FRNSW f/fighters at a car wrecking yard #fire. Fire in crushed cars & adj. factory. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/735372405225496576/photo/1 [external link]
- May 25, 2016, 4:26 pm - REVESBY | UPDATE: Factory totally involved & adjn'ing factory also alight. 15+ crews working to stop fire spread'g. https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/735355259141390337 [external link]
- May 25, 2016, 4:05 pm - REVESBY | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters fighting a #fire at the rear of a car wrecking yard on Fitzpatrick St. Lg amounts of smoke visible.
- May 25, 2016, 4:01 pm - REVESBY | #FRNSW f/fighters responding to reports of a factory #fire on Fitzpatrick St. Multiple 000 calls. Smoke issuing.