Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Regional recruitment TV ad seeks new firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has today launched a new recruitment ad campaign seeking retained (on-call) firefighters from throughout regional NSW. The 60-second TV ad, launched via social media today and...
Friday 22nd July 2016
Cold snap prompts firies to warn: keep ash out of trash
As record low temperatures continue to bite NSW, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are warning householders to take every precaution in disposing of ash from fireplaces and...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
New firefighter academy for Sydney's west
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have announced plans for a new state-of-the-art firefighter training facility in Sydney’s west. Final negotiations are underway...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Jul 29, 2016, 1:00 pm - SHORTLAND | UPDATE: Most of #fire has been knocked down. F/fighters have rescued 3 pets - 2 cats & dog - from home.
- Jul 29, 2016, 12:26 pm - SHORTLAND | #FRNSW f/fighters at a house #fire. Small, single lvl house well alight. Lg volumes of smoke. Fire ops underway.
- Jul 29, 2016, 11:48 am - PORT MACQUARIE | Half-cabin 6m boat sinking at jetty, Camden Head Rd, Dunbogan. #FRNSW removing fuel tanks & putting booms in place.
- Jul 29, 2016, 10:02 am - RT @MoF_Sydney: On 27 July #1926 a destructive #fire destroyed the Camden Vale #MilkDepot. #FlashbackFriday @FRNSW #firies … http://twitter.com/MoF_Sydney/status/758814736569950216/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 28, 2016, 12:34 pm - Congratulations to the latest 2016 class of #FRNSW recruit f/fighters who graduated today! http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/758490782386892800/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 27, 2016, 2:02 pm - COFFS HARBOUR | UPDATE: Fire in large multi-lvl recycling building is nearly out. F/fighters putting out final hot spots.
- Jul 27, 2016, 12:12 pm - COFFS HARBOUR | #FRNSW crews at #fire in industrial b'ldging, Englands Rd. Heat spreading through ducting. F/fighting ops underway.
- Jul 27, 2016, 8:25 am - DENILIQUIN update | Cressy St. traffic affected due to ongoing fire ops. Adj. buildings being checked & made safe. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/758065830798106624/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 27, 2016, 7:48 am - DENILIQUIN | #FRNSW at a #fire in department store, Cressy St. Blding well alight on arrival earlier this AM. @NSWRFS assisting.
- Jul 26, 2016, 12:41 pm - LISAROW | UPDATE: Fire in lg training rm at factory on Railway Cr. Multiple #FRNSW f/fighters on scene. https://twitter.com/CentrCoastNews/status/757767050508902400 [external link]
- Jul 26, 2016, 12:30 pm - LISAROW | #FRNSW at a bld'ing #fire on Railway Cr. Lg volumes of smoke visible & a bld'ing is well alight. Fire ops underway.
- Jul 26, 2016, 9:48 am - BEXLEY | UPDATE: Gas leak in grnd-floor classroom has been isolated. Air monitoring has given all-clear. No injuries.