Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Regional recruitment TV ad seeks new firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has today launched a new recruitment ad campaign seeking retained (on-call) firefighters from throughout regional NSW. The 60-second TV ad, launched via social media today and...
Friday 22nd July 2016
Cold snap prompts firies to warn: keep ash out of trash
As record low temperatures continue to bite NSW, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are warning householders to take every precaution in disposing of ash from fireplaces and...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
New firefighter academy for Sydney's west
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have announced plans for a new state-of-the-art firefighter training facility in Sydney’s west. Final negotiations are underway...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Aug 24, 2016, 2:35 pm - MULGOA | #FRNSW at a 2 vehicle crash, Mulgoa Rd. F/fighters working to rescue a trapped person. @LiveTrafficSyd for traffic updates.
- Aug 24, 2016, 1:35 pm - LAVINGTON, Albury | #FRNSW crews have rescued a man from unit #fire. Man taken to hospital. Fire out. Crews checking for fire spread.
- Aug 24, 2016, 11:17 am - RT @BOM_NSW: Severe Weather Warning issued for Heavy Rainfall on Sydney coast & Central Coast. … http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/ [external link] https://twitter.com/BOM_NSW/status/768242258177122304/photo/1 [external link]
- Aug 24, 2016, 9:40 am - WESTMEAD | UPDATE: #FRNSW removed and secured car hanging over 2nd level car park at hospital.
- Aug 24, 2016, 8:14 am - WESTMEAD | #FRNSW at a car which has gone through a guard rail on 2nd level of a hospital car park. Car hanging over edge. Driver out.
- Aug 23, 2016, 12:03 pm - TURVEY PARK, Wagga | #FRNSW crews at a small house well alight, Bimbeen St. All occupants accounted for. F/fighting ops underway.
- Aug 22, 2016, 4:14 pm - Get skills and training your employer will love at no cost to them #OnCallFRNSW #firefighter https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/retained [external link] https://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/767605824692768768/video/1 [external link]
- Aug 22, 2016, 9:30 am - MACKSVILLE | UPDATE: F/fighters back inside combating #fire in 2 shops after being evac'd due to electrical sparking. Ops continue.
- Aug 22, 2016, 9:01 am - MACKSVILLE | #FRNSW crews at a #fire in 2 shops, cnr Cooper & Wallace Sts. Multiple 000 calls. F/fighters working to contain blaze.
- Aug 19, 2016, 3:52 pm - MASCOT | WATCH video of the tanker being righted, Wentworth Ave. Fuel now decanted. Crews continue to clean up. https://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/766513062702481409/video/1 [external link]
- Aug 19, 2016, 3:19 pm - MASCOT | UPDATE: Fuel in tanker has been decanted.Tow trucks righting tanker. #FRNSW providing fire protection and starting clean-up.
- Aug 19, 2016, 1:00 pm - MASCOT | UPDATE: Emergency services will address media @ 1pm, Wentworth Ave. @NSWPolice @LiveTrafficSyd #FRNSW https://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/766469921232465923/photo/1 [external link]