Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 30, 2015, 7:49 am - Tens of thousands of NSW residents will visit their local #FRNSW fire station from 10am to 2pm today for Open Day. Come along!
- May 29, 2015, 10:03 pm - MORUYA nr Batemans Bay | #FRNSW & #NSWRFS fighting an industrial bld'ing #fire. Lg bld'g well alight. Fire ops underway.
- May 29, 2015, 7:06 pm - PRESTONS | #FRNSW fighting a factory #fire on Jedda Rd. Fire being brought under control. Fire ops continuing.
- May 29, 2015, 4:31 pm - NARROMINE | #FRNSW f/fighters fighting a house #fire. 3 ppl eva'cd. Fire in roof. Fire ops underway.
- May 29, 2015, 3:24 pm - Tomorrow is #FRNSW's Fire Station Open Day. 300+ stations will be open 10am-2pm. 47 will also be collecting donations for @_kidsinneed
- May 29, 2015, 1:50 pm - CARLTON | #FRNSW on scene of 3 car accident, Jubilee Ave, 2 s/bound lanes on Princes Hwy blocked @LiveTrafficSyd
- May 29, 2015, 12:49 pm - WEST WYALONG | #FRNSW & other services at a multi-vehicle accident on the Newell Hwy. 1 person trapped. @LiveTrafficNSW for updates.
- May 29, 2015, 11:39 am - LAKE HAVEN update | Gas leak stopped as LPG tank has iced up. Gorokan Dr closed. 50m excl'n zone. #FRNSW monitoring gas levels.
- May 29, 2015, 11:09 am - LAKE HAVEN, Central Coast | #FRNSW at a gas leak at a service station, Gorokan Dr. Premises has been evac'd. Setting up excl'n zone.
- May 29, 2015, 10:15 am - #FRNSW has responded to 24 kitchen #fires since Monday. #KeepLookingWhenCooking http://on.fb.me/1Qe0s4Z [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/604078512224391168/photo/1 [external link]
- May 29, 2015, 9:04 am - Today is #FatalityFreeFriday. #FRNSW has taken the road safety pledge. Have you? http://www.fatalityfreefriday.com/ [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/604060663032369152/photo/1 [external link]
- May 29, 2015, 5:11 am - STOCKTON | #FRNSW f/fighters have contained a house #fire, most of the home destroyed. House vacant at time of fire.