Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Regional recruitment TV ad seeks new firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has today launched a new recruitment ad campaign seeking retained (on-call) firefighters from throughout regional NSW. The 60-second TV ad, launched via social media today and...
Friday 22nd July 2016
Cold snap prompts firies to warn: keep ash out of trash
As record low temperatures continue to bite NSW, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are warning householders to take every precaution in disposing of ash from fireplaces and...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
New firefighter academy for Sydney's west
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have announced plans for a new state-of-the-art firefighter training facility in Sydney’s west. Final negotiations are underway...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Oct 25, 2016, 7:48 am - KEMPSEY | #FRNSW exting'd #fire in caravan & annexe at caravan park, Pacific Hwy, o'night. Caravan & annexe destroyed. No injuries.
- Oct 25, 2016, 7:43 am - GHINNI GHINNI | #FRNSW aiding @NSWRFS at a b-double truck into a guard rail, Pacific Hwy. Crews containing diesel spill from split tank.
- Oct 24, 2016, 10:26 am - CONDONG | UPDATE: Fire is in a 2000-tonne hopper containing cane mulch. Hopper being emptied to get to fire. Protracted incident.
- Oct 24, 2016, 10:07 am - CONDONG | #FRNSW at a #fire in a cane pulp bin at a sugar mill, McLeod St. Machinery separating stockpile so crews can access fire.
- Oct 24, 2016, 10:00 am - MERIMBULA | #FRNSW has contained oil #fire in takeaway shop kitchen, Marine Pde. 1 person treated for minor burns to legs & hands.
- Oct 24, 2016, 7:41 am - BELMONT| #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire, Walter St. House destroyed. 2 ppl evac'd from next door as a precaut'n. No injuries.
- Oct 24, 2016, 7:40 am - LEUMEAH | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a shop #fire, Old Leumeah Rd. Damage contained to one shop with smoke affecting others.
- Oct 24, 2016, 6:11 am - LEUMEAH | #FRNSW f/fighters at a shop #fire #Smoke from row of shops. Fire operations underway - numerous crews on scene.
- Oct 23, 2016, 9:27 pm - WATERLOO | #FRNSW f/fighters at house #fire #Smoke from 3 storey town house. Fire operations underway - numerous crews on scene.
- Oct 23, 2016, 2:32 pm - SYDNEY EYE TOWER | Congrats to #FRNSW and other f/fighters who did the stair challenge. It's not too late to donate http://www.firiesclimbformnd.org.au/ [external link]
- Oct 23, 2016, 12:56 pm - SYDNEY EYE TOWER | #FRNSW and other f/fighters climb to find cure for Adam Regal and other MND sufferers. Donate no… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/790008975395696640 [external link]
- Oct 23, 2016, 12:37 pm - SYDNEY EYE TOWER | #FRNSW f/fighter crossing the finish line after climbing 1,504 steps @SydneyTowerEye @FiriesMND https://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/790004114566451200/photo/1 [external link]