More than fighting fires – we help anyone, anywhere, anytime
Fire & Rescue NSW is a world-class emergency service organisation.
We are looking for more men and women to join us and who can commit to our values, which put life first.
Our firefighters are an intelligent, highly skilled, ethical and professional team of men and women from all walks of life.
We help anyone, anywhere, anytime, responding to any emergency necessary and we are passionate about safety, education and prevention.
We are the community. Firefighters are respected community members and being a firefighter provides you with the opportunity to make a real and ongoing difference to the people of NSW, Australia, and potentially our world today. We work in close-knit teams and are trained to be able to respond to a number of emergency incidents.
Fire and emergency prevention and response is one of the most rewarding careers available.
Fire & Rescue NSW is looking for intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded men and women to join our teams.
If you are looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you.
Learn more about information sessions and important dates in the application and selection process.
The 2017 Candidate Information Pack is now available.
Firefighting is a physically demanding occupation. This guide has been developed to assist candidates in preparing for the Physical Aptitude Test (PAT).
Recruitment for firefighters at Fire & Rescue NSW is the largest NSW Government recruitment process in operation. This results in a competitive, multi-stage process aimed at identifying the very best candidates for the job.
The firefighter recruitment campaign takes up to four months to complete and consists of three main sections: is made up of the following steps:
Application Gateway - Part 1
- Phase 1 - Submit your application online
- Phase 2 - 1st online assessment
- Phase 3 - 2nd online assessment
Application Gateway - Part 2
- Physical Aptitude Test (PAT)
Three merit-based recruitment stages
- Stage 1 - Assessment of the two targeted questions by recruitment panel(s)
- Stage 2 - The Interview and online verification
- Stage 3 - Medical assessment
The stages are explored in more detail in the Candidate Information Pack and above, including how candidates will be selected to progress forward:
- Candidates must be successful at each recruitment stage to be considered eligible to progress to the next stage.
- Progress updates will be notified by email.
- Information session are conducted to help candidates understand the process and prepare. Please join the Fire & Rescue NSW Facebook and Twitter pages as regular updates on information sessions will be provided or check key dates and information session bookings section of this site.
- Fire & Rescue NSW is committed to ensuring that security, integrity and privacy is not compromised at any stage of the recruitment process and will carry out systematic ID checks and online test verification.
- A comprehensive list of recruitment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) can be found here.