Baked Caprese chicken thighs
Created by Huntingwood Firefighter Drew
- 4 chicken thighs (fat trimmed)
- 2 cloves garlic
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Cold pressed organic olive oil
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Good mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- 1/3 Cup balsamic vinegar
Tomato and beetroot 'salsa'
- 1 home roasted beetroot (roasted for 1hr prior)
- Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 Spanish onion
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate trimmed chicken thighs in olive oil, dried oregano, garlic and dried thyme for around 2 hours min. Quick pan fry to brown, then into the oven @160 for around 15-20min.
- Whilst thighs in oven, cut slices of tomato, mozzarella and chop fresh basil.
- Top chicken thighs with mozzarella, tomato slices and fresh basil, then pop back in oven for a further 15min, or until chicken is cooked and mozzarella nicely melted.
- During this time bring balsamic vinegar to boil in small saucepan, then simmer to reduce to a 'sauce'.
- Roughly chop tomatoes, Spanish onion, beetroot and cucumber. Combine in bowl, juices from tomatoes and cucumber 'dress' the salsa whist combining.
- Place 'salsa' on bed of green lettuce, place chicken thighs (with mozzarella/tomato topping) onto plate, then drizzle balsamic reduction over thighs to taste.