Braised Winter Lamb Shanks
Created by City of Sydney Firefighter Kurt
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 large carrot
- 2 sticks of celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 large glass of dry red or white wine
- 1 tin of Italian whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 pieces of preserved lemon (optional)
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of thyme Salt, pepper
- Dice vegetables and lightly fry in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add herbs, lemon, spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Add wine, tomato, stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add lamb shanks and simmer on a low heat for 3-4 hrs with lid on.
- Serve with crunchy winter greens and mashed potatoes.