Pad Thai Goong Sod
Created by Silverwater Firefighter William
(Fried Rice Noodles with Shrimp)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 cake of tofu, cubed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 shallots, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimps or prawns (soaked for 5 minutes in warm water, drained and lightly processed)
- 1 tablespoon pickled Chinese radish
- 300g dried rice-stick noodles (soaked in warm water to soften)
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups bean sprouts, cleaned
- ¼ cup garlic chives or spring onions, sliced into 2cm lengths
- 2 tablespoons crushed peanuts
- 150g fresh prawns or shrimp (peeled, deveined and grilled)
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamarind pulp (soaked in ½ cup water strained to remove seed and fibre)
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan or wok and stir-fry the tofu until lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
Drain and set aside.
- Stir-fry garlic and shallots over high heat for 2 minutes.
Add dried shrimps and pickled radish, and fry for another 3 minutes.
Add noodles and bean curd and stir-fry to mix.
Then add sauce and dried chili flakes. Continue to stir-fry over medium heat.
- Push the noodles to one side. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, break the eggs into the pan and scramble until cooked.
Then mix the eggs and noodles together.
- Add half the bean sprouts and garlic chives/ spring onions.
Mix together thoroughly and remove from the heat.
- Serve garnished with the remaining bean sprouts and chives, crushed peanuts and grilled prawns or shrimp.