Applications are now open. Click here to apply via Jobs NSW
Applications close 30 May 2016 11:59pm.
Our world-class emergency service organisation relies on intelligent, highly skilled, ethical and professional individuals from all backgrounds. We are looking for people who can commit to FRNSW's values and contribute to our fire education and prevention programs, while working in close-knit teams to respond to a wide variety of emergency and disaster situations.
Fire and emergency prevention and response is one of the most important and rewarding careers imaginable. Firefighters are respected community members; and being a firefighter provides you with the opportunity to make a real and ongoing difference to the people of NSW, Australia, and the world.
This year Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has issued a pledge for parity - this will see an equal number of recruit positions made available to male and female applicants.
If you’re an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you.
Explore more detail about the Application Gateway and the stages of recruitment below.
With more than 7,000 applications annually for around 120 positions, FRNSW relies upon a series of online psychometric tests to bring suitable candidates forward to the recruitment stages. Learn more about the application process, online tests and how to apply.
Recruitment Stage 1 - Physical Aptitude Test (PAT)
Firefighting is a physically demanding occupation. Being prepared for what you might face is a daily requirement of firefighting. Learn how you can train specifically for the tasks involved in firefighting - and prepare you for FRNSW's PAT.
Recruitment Stage 2 - Interview and online verification
Applicants will be required to demonstrate through a structured behavioural interview that they have the skills, knowledge, values and experience to succeed and join our permanent firefighter ranks. Learn how you can prepare for the interview and the online verification test.
Recruitment Stage 3 - Medical assessment
Medical suitability will be dependent upon the outcome of all relevant medical information and test results. Learn how the FRNSW Occupational Physician reviews all relevant medical information and test results.
- Key dates and information sessions
- General information session video 11/5/2016 (NEW - YouTube)
- Have you ever thought about being a firefighter? Infographic (NEW - PDF)
- FRNSW Candidate Information Pack (UPDATED - PDF)
- FireFit Training Guide
- FRNSW Preparing for Interview Guide (NEW - PDF)
- Code of conduct
- PAT videos
- Firefighter stories - meet our firefighters
- AFAC Diversity statement
Important points to note:
- You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen. If you are a firefighter from another country, you will still need to satisfy these requirements before applying.
- You must have a minimum educational qualification at the level of HSC, Certificate III in any discipline or Trades Certificate.
- You must have a minimum of a Provisional (green) P2 driver licence.
- If successful, on completion of recruit training you'll be stationed in the Sydney metropolitan area. Opportunities for transfer to regional areas are limited.
- Your online assessment results will be verified as part of the interview process by completing a supervised test.