Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding fire bans and other fire restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking the NSW Rural Fire Service website [external link], listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Be a Hydrant Hero, today
Throughout the month of February, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are urging residents and businesses to find the water hydrant on the footpath and street closest to their home...
Friday 5th February 2016
2015 a deadly year for house fires
There were 17 accidental fire deaths and more than 4,070 home fires in NSW in 2015 making it a deadly year for home fires. The latest Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW)...
Tuesday 5th January 2016
FRNSW Seeking Corporate Partnerships
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is an organisation with a long and proud history. It is amongst the most skilled and highly regarded urban firefighting forces in the world and...
Wednesday 16th December 2015
New firefighting robot can take the heat
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today unveiled Australia’s first remote-controlled firefighting robot. The TAF 20 (Turbine Aided Firefighting) machine can move...
Thursday 10th December 2015
Hazard reduction at Green Point Reserve, Valentine
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at the western end of Green Point Reserve, Valentine, today...
Friday 27th November 2015
South Grafton Fire Station celebrates 100 years
Member for Clarence, Chris Gulaptis, and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today joined firefighters and community representatives to celebrate South Grafton Fire Station’s 100th anniversary. Commissioner Mullins said...
Friday 13th November 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Feb 9, 2016, 3:10 pm - BRANXTON | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire. House is unoccupied. Crews mopping up.
- Feb 9, 2016, 2:07 pm - MACQUARIE PARK | #FRNSW at a car into yard of childcare centre, Talavera Rd. Car has hit shade structure. No children in yard.
- Feb 9, 2016, 2:05 pm - BRANXTON | UPDATE: Roof of house, Thomas St, alight. Primary search conducted and house is believed to be empty. F/fighting ops continue.
- Feb 9, 2016, 1:36 pm - BRANXTON | #FRNSW at a house #fire. Smoke coming from roof. F/fighting ops underway.
- Feb 9, 2016, 12:44 pm - NOWRA | #FRNSW f/fighters at a #fire in a coffee shop on North St. Fire caused by gas leak. 2 ppl injured. Fire ops underway.
- Feb 9, 2016, 12:02 pm - TAREE | UPDATE: #Fire is out & contained to one bay inside 60mx10m shed. 1 truck in bay has been destroyed. @NSWRFS assisted.
- Feb 9, 2016, 10:30 am - TAREE | #FRNSW crews responding to a shed #fire, Queen St. Cars inside 60mx6m shed also alight. F/fighting ops underway.
- Feb 8, 2016, 11:24 am - PELICAN | UPDATE: 2 ppl evac'd when 2 lvl bld'ing partially collapsed. #FRNSW setting up booms to stop any spill. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/696489750115414016/photo/1 [external link]
- Feb 8, 2016, 10:34 am - PELICAN | UPDATE: Blding & pier has collapsed. All occ's accounted for. Hazmat crews on way with boat & booms to contain any spill.
- Feb 8, 2016, 10:14 am - FAIRY MEADOW | #FRNSW crews at a house #fire. F/fighters' fast work has contained the #fire to a front room. F/fighting ops continue.
- Feb 8, 2016, 10:11 am - PELICAN, Lake Macquarie | #FRNSW crews called to a 2-storey marina building collapse, Soldiers Rd. All ppl accounted for.
- Feb 8, 2016, 7:25 am - PEARL BEACH | #FRNSW f/fighters at a house #fire. House destroyed. No one inside. Fire ops continuing.