Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Firefighter Daniel Howard condolence book
The funeral service for Firefighter Daniel Howard, who was killed in the line of duty in Cobar on 17 August, will be held...
Wednesday 27th August 2014
Death of Fire & Rescue NSW Officer
Fire & Rescue NSW is today mourning the death of one of their own, after a...
Sunday 17th August 2014
Urgent warning after busy night for firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents not to be complacent about home fire safety following a spate of residential and building fires across NSW...
Wednesday 13th August 2014
Hazard reduction at John Hunter
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at John Hunter Hospital, New Lambton, on Sunday, 10 August,...
Friday 8th August 2014
Hazard reduction at Middle Head
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the National Parks and Wildlife Service and Department of Defence, will undertake hazard reduction operations at Middle Head, Mosman, today (Wednesday, 6....
Wednesday 6th August 2014
Firefighter Championships - Quinn Park Swansea 19-20th July 2014
Swansea Fire Station along with Fire & Rescue NSW will be hosting the NSW Firefighter Championships at Quinn Park, Galgabba St, Swansea on 19th & 20th July 2014. About the Championships The...
Thursday 31st July 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Aug 27, 2014, 3:04 pm - AUDIO | Mother of fallen #FRNSW Firefighter Daniel Howard, Genevieve, thanking everyone for their support | https://t.co/MC72mOB1FS
- Aug 27, 2014, 2:12 pm - #FRNSW f/fighters across state hold a minute's silence for Cobar Firefighter Daniel Howard. Flags at half mast. http://t.co/fN8NN1eO84
- Aug 27, 2014, 12:57 pm - WORONORA | UPDATE: Crews at a kitchen #fire in a restaurant. 3 ppl with burns taken to hosp. 7 ppl evac'd.
- Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 pm - WORONORA | #FRNSW crews at a kitchen fire. 1 person suffering burns and shock.
- Aug 27, 2014, 11:01 am - IN MEMORY | #FRNSW Firefighter Daniel Howard, Condolence messages can be left by visiting http://t.co/uotld54rOG
- Aug 27, 2014, 9:47 am - GLENMORE PARK | #FRNSW working to rescue a trapped driver after a car hit a tree, Glenmore Pkwy nr Surveyors Creek Rd. Rd closed.
- Aug 26, 2014, 10:18 am - NARRAWEENA | UPDATE: F/fighters have put out the fire. Home has been destroyed. Everyone is accounted for.
- Aug 26, 2014, 9:01 am - NARRAWEENA | UPDATE: Crews working inside, fighting a fire in the back of the single-level home.
- Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 am - #FRNSW at a house #fire at #Narraweena. House well alight. Multiple 000 calls. Fire ops underway.
- Aug 25, 2014, 10:18 pm - HAYMARKET | Hay St - gas co. on scene. #FRNSW crews monitoring air quality. Several ppl evac'd, @nswpolice & @NSWAmbulance attending.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station