Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Firies and SES volunteers put helicopter rescue skills to the test
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters and NSW State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers put their flood rescue skills to the test today [26 February] in a series of exercises conducted...
Thursday 27th February 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW engines and firefighters head to Victoria
Ten Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) engines, including two specialist high-rise firefighting vehicles, and 30 firefighters headed to Victoria this afternoon to assist firefighters from the Victorian Fire Services, who...
Wednesday 19th February 2014
Applications open: Firefighter recruitment campaign starts
Today (30 January) Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) launches its 2014 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign. More than 7000 applicants applied for 96 firefighter positions in 2013 with the same if not...
Thursday 30th January 2014
Australia Day medal for longest serving fire officer
With 52 years of dedicated service to Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and the title of NSW’s longest serving professional firefighter, Mosman Fire Station commander Bill King has been awarded...
Sunday 26th January 2014
Local fire captain named in Australia Day Honours
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Balgownie Acting Captain Greg Fredericks’ long and dedicated service as a firefighter has been recognised in today’s Australia Day Honours. A firefighter for 55 years –...
Sunday 26th January 2014
Australia Day medal for senior fire officer
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Chief Superintendent Gerry Byrne has spent the past 30 years providing fire and emergency protection to the people of NSW and today he was named...
Sunday 26th January 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Mar 11, 2014, 4:43 pm - #FRNSW crews have contained a shed #fire at #Whalan. 1 person with minor smoke inhl'n.
- Mar 11, 2014, 8:41 am - #FRNSW responding to a sunken boat leaking oil at #CoffsHarbour marina. F/fighters have deployed booms in the water to contain spill.
- Mar 10, 2014, 10:36 pm - BOMADERRY | house #fire, all occupants accounted for. House well alight when crews arrived, fire ops. underway.
- Mar 10, 2014, 6:59 pm - Mt. AUSTIN | lucky escape for a f/m in her 50s after a food #fire. F/fighters provided #FirstAid for smoke inhal'n, fire ext'd.
- Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 pm - #FRNSW v @MFB_NEWS cricket match - 11am, 12 March, Birchgrove Oval, Sydney. Raising money for @salvos #bushfire appeal. Give generously!
- Mar 10, 2014, 8:06 am - #FRNSW at a gas leak at #Rockdale. Princes Hwy is blocked at Ashton St. @LiveTrafficSyd for traffic info.
- Mar 9, 2014, 12:16 pm - MARRICKVILLE | gas leak at a demolition site has closed Illawarra Rd. 50-ppl evac'd for safety only. @LiveTrafficSyd
- Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 am - OVERNIGHT | 12:50am - #fire in 2-storey building incl. shops, Blaney. Ground floor unit destroyed. FFs saved adj. properties.
- Mar 7, 2014, 5:18 pm - BERESFIELD | #FRNSW on scene at an overturned semi, John Renshaw Drv. & #M1 Motorway. @LiveTrafficNSW - traffic affected.
- Mar 7, 2014, 5:07 pm - #FRNSW firefighters providing #FirstAid to a man, approx 50 y/o, struck by lightning, Baulkham Hills.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station