Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding fire bans and other fire restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking the NSW Rural Fire Service website [external link], listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
Product warnings and recalls
The caretaker period for the NSW Election commenced on 6 March 2015. Click here for further information.
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
Hazard reduction at Kilaben Bay
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is undertaking a hazard reduction operation at Kilaben Bay today (Friday, March 27).From 9.30am, eight FRNSW crews will carry out a 6.52ha hazard reduction...
Friday 27th March 2015
Fire & Rescue NSW deploys taskforce to Vanuatu
An Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) Taskforce of 54 emergency services personnel led by Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) will head to Vanuatu today to assist with the disaster relief...
Tuesday 17th March 2015
Australia Day medal for NSW fire investigator
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Station Officer Phillip Etienne has spent the past 25 years providing fire and emergency protection to the people of NSW and today he was named...
Monday 26th January 2015
Australia Day medal for NSW fire officer
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Station Officer Clayton Allison has spent the past 33 years providing fire and emergency protection to the people of NSW and today he was named...
Monday 26th January 2015
Local fire captain named in Australia Day Honours
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) fire officer Andre Van Hoeck’s long and dedicated service as a firefighter has been recognised in today’s Australia Day Honours. A firefighter for 35 years...
Monday 26th January 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Apr 2, 2015, 12:10 pm - Going away for Easter? Change your clock, change your smoke alarm battery before you go. http://on.fb.me/1yuoi5r [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/583436340307439616/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 2, 2015, 11:36 am - CARDIFF | #FRNSW f/fighters working to rescue a man trapped under a ride on mower. Man being treated by #NSWAmbulance.
- Apr 2, 2015, 10:20 am - METFORD nr MAITLAND | #FRNSW f/fighters fighting a house #fire. House well alight. Multiple 000 calls. Fire ops underway.
- Apr 2, 2015, 9:28 am - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: ARTARMON: #LaneCoveTunnel now open citybound after a truck accident jst after theexit. Still delays in the area.
- Apr 2, 2015, 8:48 am - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: ARTARMON: #LaneCoveTunnel - traffic being diverted into # ReserveRD following a truck accident. Avoid area - consider u…
- Apr 1, 2015, 4:29 pm - #FRNSW reminding ppl to change smoke alarm batteries when clocks go back this weekend http://bit.ly/1BNDdIa [external link]
- Apr 1, 2015, 3:24 pm - MOSMAN | UPDATE #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a bus #fire on Spit Rd. All off bus. Heavy traffic. @LiveTrafficSyd for updates.
- Apr 1, 2015, 3:15 pm - MOSMAN | #FRNSW f/fighters fighting a bus #fire on Spit Rd. All passengers off bus. S/B lands blocked. Fire ops underway.
- Apr 1, 2015, 7:25 am - WEST TAMWORTH | #FRNSW f/fighters exting'd a fire in the roof and back bedrooms of a house, Ridge St, o'night. Fire damage to home.
- Mar 31, 2015, 4:18 pm - SHORTLAND | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire. Bedroom destroyed. Heat & smoke damage to rest of house.
- Mar 31, 2015, 4:00 pm - SHORTLAND | #FRNSW fighting a house #fire. House well alight. No one inside. Fire ops underway.
- Mar 31, 2015, 9:15 am - BRIERFIELD update | #FRNSW & @NSWRFS f/fighters have released horse stuck in a septic tank hole. Horse appears to be in good condition.