Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Cops v Firies in inaugural 9/11 Memorial Cup - rugby
The date is set, the pitch is booked and the Fire & Rescue NSW Rugby Union Club is limbering up for what promises to be a cracker of a tournament...
Wednesday 10th September 2014
Community Fire Units Celebrate 20th Anniversary
The community spirit of residents from bushfire-prone suburbs was recognised at the 20th anniversary celebrations of Fire & Rescue NSW’s Community Fire Unit program at Penrith’s Museum of Fire today...
Sunday 31st August 2014
New Recruits Join Firefighting Ranks
After a long selection process and a gruelling 13 week course, 24 recruit firefighters have been officially welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW). Attending the graduation ceremony...
Thursday 28th August 2014
Firefighter Daniel Howard condolence book
The funeral service for Firefighter Daniel Howard, who was killed in the line of duty in Cobar on 17 August, will be held...
Wednesday 27th August 2014
Death of Fire & Rescue NSW Officer
Fire & Rescue NSW is today mourning the death of one of their own, after a...
Sunday 17th August 2014
Urgent warning after busy night for firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents not to be complacent about home fire safety following a spate of residential and building fires across NSW...
Wednesday 13th August 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Sep 18, 2014, 6:38 am - PENDLE HILL | 2:12am: car alight under unit block. 20 ppl evac'd by @nswpolice. F/fighters ext'd the fire quickly.
- Sep 17, 2014, 3:51 pm - INGLEBURN | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a kitchen #fire in a 2 bdrm house. All residents accounted for.
- Sep 17, 2014, 3:46 pm - INGLEBURN | #FRNSW f/fighters at a house #fire. Smoke issuing. Fire ops underway.
- Sep 17, 2014, 12:42 pm - THORNLEIGH | UPDATE: F/fighters have diluted 1000-litre body wash spill. Nthb'nd lanes reopened. Motorists no longer in a lather.
- Sep 17, 2014, 12:18 pm - THORNLEIGH | #FRNSW at a 1000-litre spill of body wash on Pennant Hills Rd nr Wells St. 2 nthb'nd lanes closed. @LiveTrafficSyd
- Sep 17, 2014, 10:53 am - MRT @fairfieldadvanc: A smoke alarm saved a family from a house #fire at #MtPritchard. @FRNSW http://t.co/FK2wwzF6pS http://t.co/jfMOGlYa7C
- Sep 16, 2014, 6:10 pm - NEWTOWN update | Another wall has collapse into a neighbouring house causing some damage. #FRNSW crews are working to make the area safe.
- Sep 16, 2014, 5:00 pm - MRT ShannonCarr_10: #FRNSW at a partial building collapse at #Newtown. Building was being demolished at the time. http://t.co/0YfAduZ6cm
- Sep 16, 2014, 4:03 pm - NEWTOWN | #FRNSW USAR specialists attending a partial building collapse at Pearl St. Building was being demolished. No injuries.
- Sep 16, 2014, 10:38 am - SYDNEY | UPDATE: BBQ #fire on lvl 16 of Elizabeth St unit block. BBQ & plastic chairs being exting'd by f/fighters. No evacs necessary.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station