Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding Fire Bans and other Fire Restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au (NSW Rural Fire Service website), listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
New Firies TV series
The life saving work of Fire & Rescue NSW will take centre stage in lounge rooms across Australia when Network Ten launches a new observational documentary series, Firies. Cameras were given full access to two crews over a 20-week period to provide a real look into the inner workings of Fire & Rescue NSW in an eight-part TV series.
How to watch
- Channel Ten - 6pm (AEDT) Saturday nights
Fire safety topics from this week's episode
- Join the conversion on Twitter #firies
- Enter the ‘Ask the Firies’ competition
- Follow us on Twitter @FRNSW or like us on Facebook
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Fire & Rescue NSW stronger than ever
Minister for Police and Emergency Services Stuart Ayres has today announced an additional 40 firefighters to strengthen Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW). The 40 new firefighters will be stationed at key...
Monday 24th November 2014
Major upgrade for Albion Park Fire Station
Minister for Police and Emergency Services Stuart Ayres, Member for Kiama Gareth Ward and Fire & Rescue NSW Acting Commissioner Jim Hamilton today celebrated the completion of the new $2.5...
Monday 24th November 2014
Hazard reductions in northern Sydney
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the Department of Defence, Sydney Harbour Federation Trust, Willoughby City Council and the NSW Rural Fire Service, will carry out three hazard...
Wednesday 12th November 2014
Hazard reduction at Dingley Dell, St Ives
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Ku-ring-gai Council, will undertake a hazard reduction operation today at Grevillea Ave, St Ives.The hazard reduction burn will cover 5.2ha and...
Tuesday 11th November 2014
Major hazard reduction in Lane Cove Valley
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) firefighters plan to undertake a major hazard reduction in the Lane Cove Valley at Lady Game Drive, West...
Tuesday 28th October 2014
Hazard reduction at Camp Breakaway at San Remo
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Camp Breakaway off Highview Ave, San Remo, on Wednesday,...
Tuesday 28th October 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Nov 27, 2014, 4:44 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: MOONEY MOONEY: 2 lanes now open on the #M1PacificMwy jst b4 the Hawkesbury River Bridge after a truck fire. Exercise ca…
- Nov 27, 2014, 4:41 pm - MOONEY MOONEY | UPDATE: #FRNSW & #NSWRFS have exting'd a truck #fire on M1. @LiveTrafficNSW for traffic updates.
- Nov 27, 2014, 4:28 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: MOONEY MOONEY: 1 southbound lane now open on the #M1PacificMwy jst b4 the Hawkesbury River Bridge, 2 lanes still closed…
- Nov 27, 2014, 4:25 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: MOONEY MOONEY: All southbound lanes still CLOSED on #M1PacificMwy jst b4 the Hawkesbury River Bridge due to a truck fir…
- Nov 27, 2014, 4:14 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: MOONEY MOONEY: All southbound lanes CLOSED on #M1PacificMwy jst b4 the Hawkesbury River Bridge due to a truck fire.
- Nov 27, 2014, 4:11 pm - MOONEY MOONEY | #FRNSW & #NSWRFS at a truck #fire s/b on M1 nr Peats Ferry Bridge. Fire ops underway. @LiveTrafficNSW for traffic updates.
- Nov 27, 2014, 2:44 pm - MAYFIELD | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued 1 trapped fm after a 2 vehicle accident on Victoria St. She's been taken to hosp.
- Nov 27, 2014, 2:34 pm - MAYFIELD | #FRNSW at a 2 vehicle accident on Victoria St. F/fighters rescuing 1 trapped female.
- Nov 27, 2014, 12:25 pm - GREYSTANES | UPDATE: #FRNSW firefighters fighting house #fire. Fire in garage & rear of house. 1 m with smoke inhl'n.
- Nov 27, 2014, 12:18 pm - GREYSTANES | #FRNSW firefighters at a house #fire. Smoke issuing. Fire in rear of house. Fire ops underway.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station