Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Permanent Firefighter Recruitment Campaign
Applications open 16 May 2016. If you're an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
Statement regarding EPA investigation
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has advised Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) that preliminary testing of water samples taken from collection ponds at training sites at Londonderry and Albion...
Friday 19th February 2016
Be a Hydrant Hero, today
Throughout the month of February, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are urging residents and businesses to find the water hydrant on the footpath and street closest to their home...
Friday 5th February 2016
2015 a deadly year for house fires
There were 17 accidental fire deaths and more than 4,070 home fires in NSW in 2015 making it a deadly year for home fires. The latest Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW)...
Tuesday 5th January 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Apr 29, 2016, 5:27 pm - MIRANDA | #FRNSW crews on scene at a fire involving a oxy acetylene cylinder inside a factory, Port Hacking Rd. Fire quickly contained.
- Apr 29, 2016, 5:07 pm - RT @MoF_Sydney: #Firefighters faced a harrowing scene at Riverstone Meatworks, in July 1970. #fire #FlashbackFriday @FRNSW … http://twitter.com/MoF_Sydney/status/725837478180077568/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 29, 2016, 4:56 pm - 2/2 in to assist #FRNSW crews to break up fire affected hay bales. Fire ops. will continue over the weekend & may produce more smoke.
- Apr 29, 2016, 4:55 pm - FINLEY | large hay storage shed fire burning for several days is producing more smoke as large machinery moves 1/2 http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/725941564174831617/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 29, 2016, 2:35 pm - COLLAROY | Rescue of a paraglider underway at a golf club. Female paraglider suspended mid air after colliding with a tree.
- Apr 29, 2016, 12:15 pm - BURRADOO | UPDATE: F/fighters rescued 60 Koi carp after tank ruptured from heat during plant nursery #fire. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/725871200627351552/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 29, 2016, 11:14 am - HAMILTON Sth | Unit fire in a block of 20 units. #FRNSW working to contain & extinguish the fire.
- Apr 29, 2016, 11:12 am - BURRADOO (nr Bowral) | #FRNSW crews on scene at a fire in a small glasshouse. 2-ppl with smoke inhal'n. FFs rescued several Koi from inside.
- Apr 29, 2016, 10:15 am - LAKEMBA update | fire is contained, #FRNSW crews stopped fire spreading. Residents in adj. nursing home are safe. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/725840933439205376/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 29, 2016, 9:57 am - BROADWAY | UPDATE: #Fire on lvl 3 is out. F/fighters checking for fire spread. Fire level & floor below evac'd as a precaution.
- Apr 29, 2016, 9:55 am - LAKEMBA update | Fire ops. cont. Partial roof & building collapse, firefighters protecting adj. buildings. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/725835805051117570/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 29, 2016, 9:44 am - NORTH ROCKS | #FRNSW crews working with @NSWAmbulance paramedics to rescue a trapped worker after a fall at a construction site.