Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply now to become a Permanent Firefighter
Applications are now open. If you're an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you. Applications close 30 May 2016 11:59PM.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
Statement regarding EPA investigation
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has advised Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) that preliminary testing of water samples taken from collection ponds at training sites at Londonderry and Albion...
Friday 19th February 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 10:10 pm - NORTH ST MARYS, Kurrajong Rd | Factory fire in a row of 5 units. Large fire fighting op. underway to stop fire spread.
- May 27, 2016, 3:14 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Watch&Act: #SthKempsey Fire. Highway is open @nswpolice on scene monitoring conditions. No homes currently @ threat … http://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/736060422197907457/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 2:22 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Watch&Act: #SthKempsey Fire. #NSWRFS & #FRNSW on scene. Fire moving toward Pacific Hwy. Hwy still open at this stage … http://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/736046783315345408/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 2:06 pm - WETHERILL PARK | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued 4 ppl after a truck & car accident on The Horsley Dr. @LiveTrafficSyd for traffic.
- May 27, 2016, 1:27 pm - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: WETHERILL PARK: The Horsley Dr is closed at Cowpasture Rd due to car accident. Divert via Cowpasture Rd and Victoria St
- May 27, 2016, 1:25 pm - WETHERILL PARK | #FRNSW f/fighters at a car accident on Rennie St. Crews working to rescue 3 trapped ppl. 1 person rescued already.
- May 27, 2016, 12:22 pm - #FRNSW was honoured to be a part of today's 10th Comm'n Service for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Veterans. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/736019676308770816/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 11:32 am - SOUTH GRANVILLE | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued a trapped man after a car accident on Blaxcell St. Traffic affected.
- May 27, 2016, 11:02 am - SOUTH GRANVILLE | #FRNSW f/fighters working to rescue a trapped person after a car accident on Blaxcell St. Car on its roof.
- May 27, 2016, 10:30 am - KINGSGROVE | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire. Fire contained to top storey of 2 lvl house.
- May 27, 2016, 10:09 am - KINGSGROVE | #FRNSW f/fighters at a house #fire. 2 lvl house alight on 2nd lvl. Smoke issuing. Fire ops underway.
- May 27, 2016, 10:02 am - RT @MoF_Sydney: #Fire destroys the #Woolworths Family Centre in #Liverpool, on Wednesday 11 October #1971. #FlashbackFriday @FRNSW … http://twitter.com/MoF_Sydney/status/735984224134651904/photo/1 [external link]