Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply now to become a Permanent Firefighter
Applications are now open. If you're an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you. Applications close 30 May 2016 11:59PM.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 30, 2016, 12:46 pm - RHODES | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a bld'ing #fire, Leeds St. Fire was on 3rd lvl of unoccupied bld'ing.
- May 30, 2016, 12:30 pm - PETERSHAM | #FRNSW f/fighters assisting at Trafalgar St where a water main has burst. https://twitter.com/SydneyWaterNews/status/737108502863306752 [external link]
- May 30, 2016, 12:21 pm - RHODES | #FRNSW f/fighters at a bld'ing #fire, Leeds St. Multiple 000 calls & smoke coming from top lvl of 3 lvl bld'ing. Fire ops underway.
- May 30, 2016, 11:27 am - NORTH SYDNEY | #FRNSW f/fighters shoring up a concrete driveway over a carpark on McLaren St after it was compromised.
- May 30, 2016, 10:22 am - Cold weather prompts home #fire safety warning from #FRNSW Chief. #ReAlarm your home. http://bit.ly/1TO43OJ [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/737076714434482177/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 10:10 pm - NORTH ST MARYS, Kurrajong Rd | Factory fire in a row of 5 units. Large fire fighting op. underway to stop fire spread.
- May 27, 2016, 3:14 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Watch&Act: #SthKempsey Fire. Highway is open @nswpolice on scene monitoring conditions. No homes currently @ threat … http://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/736060422197907457/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 2:22 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Watch&Act: #SthKempsey Fire. #NSWRFS & #FRNSW on scene. Fire moving toward Pacific Hwy. Hwy still open at this stage … http://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/736046783315345408/photo/1 [external link]
- May 27, 2016, 2:06 pm - WETHERILL PARK | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued 4 ppl after a truck & car accident on The Horsley Dr. @LiveTrafficSyd for traffic.
- May 27, 2016, 1:27 pm - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: WETHERILL PARK: The Horsley Dr is closed at Cowpasture Rd due to car accident. Divert via Cowpasture Rd and Victoria St
- May 27, 2016, 1:25 pm - WETHERILL PARK | #FRNSW f/fighters at a car accident on Rennie St. Crews working to rescue 3 trapped ppl. 1 person rescued already.
- May 27, 2016, 12:22 pm - #FRNSW was honoured to be a part of today's 10th Comm'n Service for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Veterans. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/736019676308770816/photo/1 [external link]