Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Firefighter Daniel Howard condolence book
The funeral service for Firefighter Daniel Howard, who was killed in the line of duty in Cobar on 17 August, will be held...
Wednesday 27th August 2014
Death of Fire & Rescue NSW Officer
Fire & Rescue NSW is today mourning the death of one of their own, after a...
Sunday 17th August 2014
Urgent warning after busy night for firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents not to be complacent about home fire safety following a spate of residential and building fires across NSW...
Wednesday 13th August 2014
Hazard reduction at John Hunter
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at John Hunter Hospital, New Lambton, on Sunday, 10 August,...
Friday 8th August 2014
Hazard reduction at Middle Head
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the National Parks and Wildlife Service and Department of Defence, will undertake hazard reduction operations at Middle Head, Mosman, today (Wednesday, 6....
Wednesday 6th August 2014
Firefighter Championships - Quinn Park Swansea 19-20th July 2014
Swansea Fire Station along with Fire & Rescue NSW will be hosting the NSW Firefighter Championships at Quinn Park, Galgabba St, Swansea on 19th & 20th July 2014. About the Championships The...
Thursday 31st July 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Aug 30, 2014, 4:39 pm - COOGEE update | Firefighters have ext'd a #fire in a bedroom & stopped flames from spreading throughout the house. All people acc. for.
- Aug 30, 2014, 4:24 pm - COOGEE | #FRNSW crews on scene at a house #fire, additional crews responding. Fire in a 2-storey house; fire ops. underway.
- Aug 30, 2014, 10:19 am - BYRON BAY | mini bus #fire, Skinners Shoot Rd. All ppl. evac'd, fire extinguished by #FRNSW.
- Aug 30, 2014, 10:15 am - LIDCOMBE | #Fire in an apartment. #FRNSW FFs have just rescued a man from a 2nd storey; being treated for smoke inhal'n.
- Aug 30, 2014, 7:00 am - PARKES | #Fire in the laundry & roof of a house stopped from spreading by #FRNSW crews. All ppl accounted for.
- Aug 30, 2014, 6:56 am - LALOR PARK | (5am) Unit destroyed by #fire. The unit was well alight when #FRNSW arrived, 2-ppl evac'd.
- Aug 30, 2014, 6:52 am - ANNANDALE | #Fire in the ceiling of a house stopped from spreading. Ceiling badly damaged. #FRNSW on scene, no injuries.
- Aug 29, 2014, 10:19 pm - CABRAMATTA | Firefighters stabilising a balcony of a 3-storey apartment block - struck by a removalist truck. Sig. damage to balcony.
- Aug 29, 2014, 5:10 pm - APPIN | #FRNSW crews at a house #fire with #NSWFRS. Fire ops. currently underway.
- Aug 29, 2014, 4:21 pm - THANKS to the 1,293 on-line viewers of our 1st ever LIVE graduation broadcast, yesterday. Tech #Gremlins fixed; ready for next time.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station