Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Suspected illegal dumping of asbestos at Ourimbah
Wyong Shire Council and Fire & Rescue NSW are currently on site at Brush Rd, Ourimbah, inspecting an incident suspected to involve illegal dumping of fibro cement sheeting that may...
Monday 7th July 2014
Winter fire safety warning after spate of home fires
A spate of fires in homes has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents not to leave fire safety to chance this winter and to take every...
Monday 7th July 2014
Be fire safe during cold snap
With strong winds and a drop in temperatures forecast tonight and tomorrow, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents to take precautions against fires in...
Monday 23rd June 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW and NSW Fair Trading issue winter warning about gas cabinet heaters
Following a fire at a Rose Bay unit on Tuesday night, Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe have reissued a warning on...
Thursday 12th June 2014
Hazard reductions continue in Sydney basin
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Warringah and Sutherland councils, will undertake hazard reduction operations in Sydney’s northern and southern suburbs today. FRNSW Bushfire Team Leader, Superintendent Steve Moran,...
Wednesday 28th May 2014
Hazard reductions in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Newcastle and Lake Macquarie councils and the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSWRFS), will undertake a number of hazard reduction operations in the...
Tuesday 27th May 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Jul 30, 2014, 11:32 am - RT @LiveTrafficSyd: SANS SOUCI: #TheGrandPde now open both directions near #SandringhamSt following truck rollover. No delays to traffic.
- Jul 30, 2014, 10:46 am - UPDATE #SanSouci: #FRNSW at a truck rollover on Sandringham St. Truck now righted. @LiveTrafficSyd for updates.
- Jul 30, 2014, 10:06 am - #FRNSW at a truck rollover Sandringham St, @SanSouci. Rd blocked in both directions. No one trapped.
- Jul 30, 2014, 7:00 am - PYMBLE | Pacific Hwy & Bobbin Head Rd - #FRNSW at a motorcyclist down & injured. Heavy traffic @LiveTrafficSyd
- Jul 29, 2014, 4:58 pm - HINCHINBROOK | Cooking left unattended in a Hinchinbrook home. #don'tleavefiresafetytochance - never leave cooking unattended.
- Jul 29, 2014, 4:56 pm - FRENCHS FOREST update | Fire has been extinguished. No one was home at the time of the fire.
- Jul 29, 2014, 4:20 pm - FRENCHS FOREST | House alight. 8 f/fighters on scene working to extinguish the fire.
- Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 pm - COOMA | Shed alight at the back of a house. 8 f/fighters from Cooma on scene and working to extinguish the fire.
- Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 pm - WAVERLEY | Smoke in a classroom at an eastern suburbs school appears to be cause by minor electrical fault. F/fighters investigating further
- Jul 29, 2014, 7:25 am - SHANNONS FLAT (near Cooma) | #FRNSW & #NSWRFS crews have ext'd a house #fire. House well alight when crews arrived. No injuries.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station