Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Community Fire Units Celebrate 20th Anniversary
The community spirit of residents from bushfire-prone suburbs was recognised at the 20th anniversary celebrations of Fire & Rescue NSW’s Community Fire Unit program at Penrith’s Museum of Fire today...
Sunday 31st August 2014
New Recruits Join Firefighting Ranks
After a long selection process and a gruelling 13 week course, 24 recruit firefighters have been officially welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW). Attending the graduation ceremony...
Thursday 28th August 2014
Firefighter Daniel Howard condolence book
The funeral service for Firefighter Daniel Howard, who was killed in the line of duty in Cobar on 17 August, will be held...
Wednesday 27th August 2014
Death of Fire & Rescue NSW Officer
Fire & Rescue NSW is today mourning the death of one of their own, after a...
Sunday 17th August 2014
Urgent warning after busy night for firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents not to be complacent about home fire safety following a spate of residential and building fires across NSW...
Wednesday 13th August 2014
Hazard reduction at John Hunter
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at John Hunter Hospital, New Lambton, on Sunday, 10 August,...
Friday 8th August 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Sep 3, 2014, 9:10 am - EARLIER | #FRNSW Comm. (and AFAC Pres.) Greg Mullins, opens #afac2014 in Wellington, #NZ | http://t.co/vcD8DXQtmL http://t.co/nAfMSRxfBl
- Sep 3, 2014, 7:40 am - WETHERILL PARK | F/fighters have exting'd fire in a detached garage which was threatening house. Residents evac'd.
- Sep 3, 2014, 6:49 am - THORNLEIGH | (3am) #FRNSW ext'd a shop #fire on Pennant Hills Rd. Shop was well alight when crews arrived, no injuries.
- Sep 2, 2014, 4:42 pm - Pics | Earlier kitchen & exhaust flue #fire created a lot of smoke & flame. #FRNSW remain on scene, George St. http://t.co/Th8M4sxFp2
- Sep 2, 2014, 4:19 pm - SYDNEY update | #Fire in a George St building was in a kitchen in the basement. FFs continue to check the building for fire spread.
- Sep 2, 2014, 4:07 pm - SYDNEY update | #Fire in a George St building appears to be ext'd. FFs checking for fire spread. Evac's remain in place - fire ops. cont.
- Sep 2, 2014, 4:01 pm - SYDNEY | Smoke from a 7-storey building, George St /Jamison Rd. Evac's from building underway, #FRNSW crews responding/on-scene.
- Sep 2, 2014, 2:20 pm - BEXLEY | #FRNSW FFs providing a female in her 60s with first aid after a small #fire at the rear of her house. Fire ext'd.
- Sep 2, 2014, 11:59 am - WOLLONGONG | UPDATE: #FRNSW stabilising car and blding. 3 ppl taken to hospital by #ASNSW. Others being assessed on scene and given O2.
- Sep 2, 2014, 11:25 am - WOLLONGONG | #FRNSW responding to a car into a dance studio, Glebe St. #ASNSW and @nswpolice also on scene.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station