Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Hazard reduction in Bateau Bay
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Wyong Shire Council, will undertake a hazard reduction operation in Morley Ave, Bateau Bay today <Thursday 20 March >. FRNSW Central Coast Zone...
Thursday 20th March 2014
Over 65s must heed warning
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has urged elderly residents, their families and carers to change their smoke alarm batteries when Daylight Saving ends on Saturday, 6 April. Those...
Wednesday 12th March 2014
Firies and SES volunteers put helicopter rescue skills to the test
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters and NSW State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers put their flood rescue skills to the test today [26 February] in a series of exercises conducted...
Thursday 27th February 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW engines and firefighters head to Victoria
Ten Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) engines, including two specialist high-rise firefighting vehicles, and 30 firefighters headed to Victoria this afternoon to assist firefighters from the Victorian Fire Services, who...
Wednesday 19th February 2014
Applications open: Firefighter recruitment campaign starts
Today (30 January) Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) launches its 2014 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign. More than 7000 applicants applied for 96 firefighter positions in 2013 with the same if not...
Thursday 30th January 2014
Australia Day medal for longest serving fire officer
With 52 years of dedicated service to Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and the title of NSW’s longest serving professional firefighter, Mosman Fire Station commander Bill King has been awarded...
Sunday 26th January 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Apr 18, 2014, 7:16 am - #FRNSW was called to a #fire in an 8m yacht in dry dock, #Ballina o'night. Yacht destroyed.
- Apr 17, 2014, 1:49 pm - #FRNSW | Hume Hwy block southbound near Copeland St due to 2-car accident. F/fighters, @nswpolice & @ASNSW on scene.
- Apr 17, 2014, 12:40 pm - #FRNSW FFs & @FRNSW_CFU members from Oct bushfires meeting #DuchessOfCambridge, Blue Mountains. Pic @9NewsSyd http://t.co/q9eaNXVH6W
- Apr 17, 2014, 11:59 am - MRT @9NewsAUS: The Duchess hearing about last year's bushfires in the #BlueMountains from #FRNSW f/fighters. #9News http://t.co/6x4Amdeh3M
- Apr 17, 2014, 11:15 am - Congratulations to the 1st 2014 recruit class of #FRNSW #firefighters who graduated today. http://t.co/GKZih38eY0
- Apr 17, 2014, 8:55 am - MRT @GoulburnPost: Fire guts #Goulburn West school hall overnight. #FRNSW http://t.co/4BDofLTin2 http://t.co/1SDangniab
- Apr 17, 2014, 6:38 am - O/night: #FRNSW responded to a #fire in a school hall at #Goulburn. Crews exting'ing hot spots.
- Apr 16, 2014, 6:31 pm - #FRNSW at a house #fire at #Cranebrook. Fire in kitchen has spread to roof. Family evac'd. Fire ops underway.
- Apr 16, 2014, 3:59 pm - UPDATE #Lakemba: #FRNSW crews have exting'd a building #fire at #Lakemba. Fire in granny flat.
- Apr 16, 2014, 3:57 pm - RT @NSWRFS: #NSWRFS & #FRNSW have contained a fire burning in a home at #Ingleside. No one has been reported injured. http://t.co/trp0r3qoBu
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station