Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Floods and storms information
For emergency help in floods and storms call the SES on 132 500. Call Triple Zero (000) for life-threatening emergencies.
For tips on what your family can do to prepare for storms, visit www.stormsafe.com.au [external link]
Product warnings and recalls
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
Hazard reduction at Kilaben Bay
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is undertaking a hazard reduction operation at Kilaben Bay today (Friday, March 27).From 9.30am, eight FRNSW crews will carry out a 6.52ha hazard reduction...
Friday 27th March 2015
Fire & Rescue NSW deploys taskforce to Vanuatu
An Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) Taskforce of 54 emergency services personnel led by Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) will head to Vanuatu today to assist with the disaster relief...
Tuesday 17th March 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Apr 21, 2015, 8:06 pm - Even in this weather, we still attended 100 #fires, today. Using your clothes dryer tonight? Clean the lint filter - don't be our 101st.
- Apr 21, 2015, 7:56 pm - WARRAWONG | #fire inside a club on Kemblawarra Rd quickly ext'd by #FRNSW crews. Smoke being cleared, fire ops. cont.
- Apr 21, 2015, 7:23 pm - Thanks to #NSWRFS volunteer firefighters assisting #FRNSW crews with numerous fallen power lines. Our crews now able to redeploy.
- Apr 21, 2015, 7:02 pm - NARRABRI | electrical #fire quickly contained inside a bottle shop. 20-ppl evac'd for safety. #FRNSW crews clearing smoke.
- Apr 21, 2015, 6:44 pm - Using candles during #NSWWeather related power outages? We suggest these tips for your safety | https://www.facebook.com/notes/fire-and-rescue-nsw/reminder-safety-with-candles-especially-if-youve-lost-power/981637611870816 [external link]
- Apr 21, 2015, 6:03 pm - #FRNSW reminds people to take care if drying wet clothing or furnishings. Some important #fire safety tips | https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=956 [external link]
- Apr 21, 2015, 3:53 pm - RT @nswpolice: Evacuatino information for Dungog residents #NSWwildweather #Dungog https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/latest_releases?sq_content_src= [external link]%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGZWJpenByZC5wb2xpY2UubnN3Lmdvdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGNDU3NjcuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D
- Apr 21, 2015, 3:48 pm - @Alli1974 Hi, Please call 000 if you are concerned and have been unable to reach her.
- Apr 21, 2015, 3:38 pm - 3409 Triple Zero calls since 6am & 1239 #NSWWeather emergencies. #FRNSW f/fighters v.busy today supporting #NSWSES. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/590389165642027008/photo/1 [external link]
- Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 pm - RT @NSWSES: Flood advice for residents in Newcastle. Expect rapid rises and flash flooding in the next few hours. Do not enter floodwater. …
- Apr 21, 2015, 2:58 pm - RT @NSWSES: New South Wales State Emergency Service Alert Flood Safety Advice for residents in Newcastle and surrounding... … http://fb.me/6ADjc2UVF [external link]
- Apr 21, 2015, 1:43 pm - KEARSLEY | #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued 4 people trapped inside a home on Kearsley Rd due to rising flood waters. #NSWWeather