Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
New Firies TV series
The life saving work of Fire & Rescue NSW will take centre stage in lounge rooms across Australia when Network Ten launches a new observational documentary series, Firies. Cameras were given full access to two crews over a 20-week period to provide a real look into the inner workings of Fire & Rescue NSW in an eight-part TV series.
How to watch
- Channel Ten - 6pm (AEDT) Saturday nights
Fire safety topics from this week's episode
- Join the conversion on Twitter #firies
- Enter the ‘Ask the Firies’ competition
- Follow us on Twitter @FRNSW or like us on Facebook
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding Fire Bans and other Fire Restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au (NSW Rural Fire Service website), listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Major hazard reduction in Lane Cove Valley
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) firefighters plan to undertake a major hazard reduction in the Lane Cove Valley at Lady Game Drive, West...
Tuesday 28th October 2014
Hazard reduction at Camp Breakaway at San Remo
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Camp Breakaway off Highview Ave, San Remo, on Wednesday,...
Tuesday 28th October 2014
FRNSW response to strong winds across Sydney/Blue Mountains
Since 2pm today, Fire & Rescue NSW has processed several hundred call for assistance. Firefighters have responded to more than 70 wind-related incidents across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, the...
Monday 27th October 2014
Sydney storms - busy night for firefighters
Last night’s unprecedented extreme weather across Sydney and the Illawarra has seen Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) experience one of its busiest nights in history. Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg...
Wednesday 15th October 2014
Hazard reductions across Sydney area this week
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with local councils and the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake several hazard reduction operations across Sydney this week pending favourable...
Wednesday 8th October 2014
New recruits join firefighting ranks
After a long selection process and a gruelling 13-week course, 19 recruit firefighters have been officially welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW). Attending the graduation ceremony at...
Thursday 2nd October 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Oct 31, 2014, 3:42 pm - RT @NSWRFS: Total Fire Bans declared for 5 areas tomorrow (Sat 1 Nov) incl Greater Sydney due to forecast hot/windy conditions http://t.co/…
- Oct 31, 2014, 3:11 pm - KANAHOOKA | #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a building #fire. 1 male injured & being treated by f/fighters.
- Oct 30, 2014, 2:01 pm - #Twitter stickers with the #FRNSW handle being spotted out & about. New followers always welcome! http://t.co/G0RQX0qRoT
- Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 pm - This week on #Firies, Liverpool go from a car accident to a bus fire. Glebe teach kids important fire safety msgs: http://t.co/reqiKHeczV
- Oct 30, 2014, 9:25 am - #FRNSW carrying out hazard reductions on top of #BeaconHill & at Hazel St, #GeorgesHall today. Only call 000 for unattended fires.
- Oct 30, 2014, 9:02 am - BOMADERRY | #FRNSW crews responding to a smouldering fire in an industrial plant with a shipping container inside, Bolong Rd.
- Oct 30, 2014, 7:27 am - MANNERING PARK | #FRNSW on scene at a power station after a leak from a broken pipe released a dust cloud of fly ash. Leak isolated.
- Oct 30, 2014, 6:46 am - CHATSWOOD| #FRNSW called to burst water pipe in student accommodation o'night. 3 levels flooded. 50 students evac'd, 30 returned later.
- Oct 29, 2014, 4:55 pm - MRT: @702sydney: Newtown Fire Station getting into the spirit of #Halloween via @NewtownSydney @FRNSW http://t.co/Nxhg0WXl85
- Oct 29, 2014, 2:21 pm - SAN REMO | UPDATE: #FRNSW & #NSWRFS hazard reduction at Camp Breakaway underway. Only call 000 for unattended fires. http://t.co/63D42CIv3e
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station