Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Permanent Firefighter Recruitment Campaign
Applications open 16 May 2016. If you're an intelligent, fit, healthy and community-minded man or woman looking for a unique challenge, firefighting could be the career for you.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
DEPUTY FIRE COMMISSIONER RETIRES AFTER 36 YEARS
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins have thanked Deputy Commissioner Jim Smith AFSM, who has announced his retirement after 36 years...
Friday 18th March 2016
Firefighter recruitment campaign brings equity to table
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today announced changes to the fire service's highly competitive permanent firefighter recruitment campaign in a bid to ensure more women get the...
Friday 11th March 2016
Statement regarding EPA investigation
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has advised Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) that preliminary testing of water samples taken from collection ponds at training sites at Londonderry and Albion...
Friday 19th February 2016
Be a Hydrant Hero, today
Throughout the month of February, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are urging residents and businesses to find the water hydrant on the footpath and street closest to their home...
Friday 5th February 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 5, 2016, 12:25 pm - Keep your family & friends safe. #ReAlarm your home with a new photoelectric smoke alarm. http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/realarm [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/728047901968998401/video/1 [external link]
- May 4, 2016, 4:57 pm - We would like to thank @DavidElliottMP for launching #ReAlarm campaign http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/news.php?news=2320 [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/727753956269690880/photo/1 [external link]
- May 4, 2016, 3:29 pm - KINGS CROSS update | fire in a lift motor room of a 20 storey building. Fire being contained to the motor room. Smoke visible.
- May 4, 2016, 3:24 pm - MONA VALE | large oil spill from a mobile crane, Mona Vale Rd. 1km west of the Baha'i Temple. #FRNSW crews on scene. @LiveTrafficSyd
- May 4, 2016, 3:16 pm - KINGS CROSS | #FRNSW crews at a construction site on Darlinghurst Rd; reports of smoke in a lift well.
- May 4, 2016, 2:04 pm - WESTMEAD 2pm update | car removed from a damaged gas main, area made safe & residents returning to their homes. #FRNSW.
- May 4, 2016, 1:53 pm - WESTMEAD | Domestic gas main ruptured outside a villa complex, Bridge Rd. 100+ residents evac'd for safety. Gas Co. also on scene.
- May 4, 2016, 10:30 am - #MayThe4th is also St. Florian's Day, AKA #Internationalfirefightersday. Take a moment to thank the world's firies. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/727656591932063745/photo/1 [external link]
- May 4, 2016, 10:16 am - HAMILTON update | 3 garages & contents destroyed by fire, Gordon Ave. #FRNSW crews stopped fire spreading to surrounding buildings.
- May 4, 2016, 9:02 am - HAMILTON | #FRNSW crews on scene at a garage well alight. Adjacent building being protected by firefighters, fire ops. underway.
- May 4, 2016, 7:58 am - CHISWICK | UPDATE: #Fire is out and crews have stopped fire spread into other rooms.
- May 4, 2016, 7:55 am - PUNCHBOWL | UPDATE: F/fighters have #fire under control. 20 ppl evac'd from unit block. Traffic impacted - avoid area.