Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Jul 28, 2015, 4:32 pm - GREENACRE | #FRNSW f/fighters at a unit #fire. Smoke coming from unit. Fire ops underway.
- Jul 28, 2015, 4:32 pm - NORTH RYDE | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have exting'd a house #fire. No injuries.
- Jul 28, 2015, 2:52 pm - NORTH RYDE | UPDATE: House roof well alight. Fire crews inside blding withdrawn. No one reported inside. F/fighting ops continue.
- Jul 28, 2015, 2:45 pm - GOSFORD | UPDATE: Gas co. on scene and bringing in diggers to carry out repairs. #FRNSW providing fire protection as precaution.
- Jul 28, 2015, 2:34 pm - NORTH RYDE | #FRNSW f/fighters investigating large amounts of smoke coming from the roof of a single-storey house, Napier Cr.
- Jul 28, 2015, 2:27 pm - GOSFORD | #FRNSW at a ruptured high-pressure gas main at Gosford City Park where a circus is setting up. 100m evac zone.
- Jul 28, 2015, 10:46 am - CASTLE HILL | #FRNSW crews have contained and exting'd a small #fire in an ind'l coffee bean roaster, Hoyle Ave. Premises ventilated.
- Jul 27, 2015, 6:03 pm - SINGLETON | #FRNSW at a house #fire. Fire on 2nd lvl of 2 lvl house. Fire ops underway.
- Jul 27, 2015, 2:28 pm - YENNORA | UPDATE: F/fighters have main #fire under control and protected n'bring warehouse under threat. https://amp.twimg.com/v/61043658-1588-45cd-a106-f061da1c415c [external link]
- Jul 27, 2015, 2:00 pm - YENNORA | UPDATE:25 fire trucks & more than 130 f/fighters working to extinguish furniture factory fire. #FRNSW http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/625516057801814016/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 27, 2015, 1:36 pm - PHOTOS from the Goulburn metal recycling yard fire from earlier today. #FRNSW @NSWRFS http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/625510154725781506/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 27, 2015, 1:18 pm - YENNORA | UPDATE: Single-lvl factory engulfed in #fire. F/fighters working to protect n'bring props. High-voltage powerlines under threat.