Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
New Firies TV series
The life saving work of Fire & Rescue NSW will take centre stage in lounge rooms across Australia when Network Ten launches a new observational documentary series, Firies. Cameras were given full access to two crews over a 20-week period to provide a real look into the inner workings of Fire & Rescue NSW in an eight-part TV series.
How to watch
- Channel Ten - 6pm (AEDT) Saturday nights
Fire safety topics from this week's episode
- Join the conversion on Twitter #firies
- Enter the ‘Ask the Firies’ competition
- Follow us on Twitter @FRNSW or like us on Facebook
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding Fire Bans and other Fire Restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au (NSW Rural Fire Service website), listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Sydney storms - busy night for firefighters
Last night’s unprecedented extreme weather across Sydney and the Illawarra has seen Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) experience one of its busiest nights in history. Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg...
Wednesday 15th October 2014
Hazard reductions across Sydney area this week
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with local councils and the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake several hazard reduction operations across Sydney this week pending favourable...
Wednesday 8th October 2014
New recruits join firefighting ranks
After a long selection process and a gruelling 13-week course, 19 recruit firefighters have been officially welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW). Attending the graduation ceremony at...
Thursday 2nd October 2014
Hazard reduction at Macquarie Hills
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) will undertake a 6ha hazard reduction operation in Blaxland Rd, Macquarie Hills today.Authorities are conducting the burn...
Wednesday 24th September 2014
Cops v Firies in inaugural 9/11 Memorial Cup - rugby
The date is set, the pitch is booked and the Fire & Rescue NSW Rugby Union Club is limbering up for what promises to be a cracker of a tournament...
Wednesday 10th September 2014
Community Fire Units Celebrate 20th Anniversary
The community spirit of residents from bushfire-prone suburbs was recognised at the 20th anniversary celebrations of Fire & Rescue NSW’s Community Fire Unit program at Penrith’s Museum of Fire today...
Sunday 31st August 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Oct 22, 2014, 10:32 am - Puaikura Volunteer Fire Brigade from Rarotonga, Cook Islands has thanked #FRNSW for the donation of old uniforms http://t.co/bBBriiLCf1
- Oct 21, 2014, 9:32 pm - TUMUT | #FRNSW crews have extinguished a #fire inside a unit. 1-person being treated for smoke inhalation.
- Oct 21, 2014, 4:28 pm - Did you miss #Firies on Saturday night? Catch up on the action: http://t.co/hiyPbYuODq
- Oct 21, 2014, 11:01 am - F/fighters from Narrabeen Fire Stn explain the complex rescue operation f/fighters undertook on Pittwater Rd today. http://t.co/gVPkaV6hFY
- Oct 21, 2014, 6:41 am - DEE WHY | #FRNSW on scene at a serious crash involv. a truck & several cars, Pittwater Rd & Warringah Rd. Rescue ops. underway.
- Oct 20, 2014, 6:36 pm - RYDE | F/fighters have ext'd a fire I a kitchen. 1 person treated on scene for smoke inhalation.
- Oct 20, 2014, 6:33 pm - PENDLE HILL | #FRNSW crews working to stabilise a house after a crane went into corner of the property.
- Oct 20, 2014, 2:12 pm - DOONSIDE - UPDATE | School on Kildare Rd not evac'd. Students in classrooms on Kildare Rd have been moved to another part of school.
- Oct 20, 2014, 2:02 pm - DOONSIDE | F/fighters at a fuel spill on Kildare Rd. The area has been covered in foam for safety. Kildare Rd & parts of Doonside Rd closed
- Oct 20, 2014, 10:20 am - SYDNEY | #FRNSW on scene at a #fire in a fryer of a restaurant, Macquarie St. Fire ext'd, smoke being cleared - no injuries.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station