Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Hazard reductions at Morisset
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Morisset this week, pending favourable conditions.Today, Thursday, 13...
Thursday 13th August 2015
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Aug 31, 2015, 10:58 am - SEVEN HILLS | #FRNSW at a #fire in a stormwater drain behind a factory, Welder Rd. 13 ppl evac'd. F/fighters monitoring gas levels.
- Aug 31, 2015, 10:21 am - RABY | UPDATE: #FRNSW & #NSWRFS f/fighters have exting'd at a truck #fire n/b on Hume Hwy. No injuries.
- Aug 31, 2015, 9:52 am - RABY | #FRNSW at a truck #fire n/b on Hume Hwy. Multiple 000 calls. Fire ops underway.
- Aug 31, 2015, 9:46 am - BEVERLY HILLS | #FRNSW at a gas leak at a house on on Dora St. Rd closed. Neighbouring house also evac'd. Crews monitoring gas lvls.
- Aug 31, 2015, 9:23 am - BARRY nr Blayney | #FRNSW assisting @NSWRFS at a house fire, Selwyn St. Roof alight. All occ's accounted for. F/fighting ops underway.
- Aug 31, 2015, 7:50 am - BEROWRA | #FRNSW at a 2 car accident on the Pacific Hwy nr the M1 on ramp. Rd closed in both directions. Avoid the area.
- Aug 30, 2015, 7:15 pm - CHIPPING NORTON | UPDATE: #Fire subdued. Crews exting'ing hot spots; removed & made safe 9kg gas cylinder.
- Aug 30, 2015, 6:52 pm - CHIPPING NORTON | #FRNSW at house #fire, Wolverton Ave. Single-lvl house well alight when f/fighters arrived, with flames from roof.
- Aug 30, 2015, 3:04 pm - BREWARRINA | #FRNSW at #fire in an abandoned house, Bourke St. Home well alight when f/fighters arrived. Powerline down on metal fence.
- Aug 29, 2015, 7:50 pm - ARMIDALE | #FRNSW crews have contained a shed #fire, Crescent St. Extinguishing final hot spots.
- Aug 29, 2015, 5:29 pm - CARINGBAH | UPDATE: #Fire is out. Roof of building is destroyed. Crews have left scene.
- Aug 29, 2015, 4:01 pm - CARINGBAH | UPDATE: F/fighters have quickly reduced size of #fire in roof of 2-storey derelict high school b'lding. Ops continue.