Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Warning On Hoverboards [external link]
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Cold snap prompts firies to warn: keep ash out of trash
As record low temperatures continue to bite NSW, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are warning householders to take every precaution in disposing of ash from fireplaces and...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
New firefighter academy for Sydney's west
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have announced plans for a new state-of-the-art firefighter training facility in Sydney’s west. Final negotiations are underway...
Tuesday 28th June 2016
Cold snap prompts house fire warning
The arrival of cooler temperatures has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home. Firefighters have been called...
Monday 30th May 2016
Fire Station Open Day to take place on 21 May
Firefighters are encouraging the people of NSW to visit their local fire station for the Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) annual Open Day this Saturday, 21 May. Fire Stations across the...
Monday 16th May 2016
ALARM RAISED ON WINTER FIRE SAFETY
Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged the community to replace outdated smoke alarms to protect loved ones in the lead-up...
Wednesday 4th May 2016
Change your clocks and your smoke alarm
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today urged NSW residents to start thinking about replacing their smoke alarms ahead of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of smoke...
Friday 1st April 2016
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Jun 30, 2016, 7:15 pm - 60% of ppl say they use a 9V battery to power their smoke alarm. Protect your family. Invest in lithium battery smoke alarm. #FRNSW #ReAlarm
- Jun 29, 2016, 7:40 pm - 20% of ppl dont know how old their smoke alarm is. If in doubt, replace it with a photoelectric smoke alarm http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/ReAlarm [external link]
- Jun 29, 2016, 12:01 pm - OWENS GAP nr Scone | #FRNSW aiding other em services in rescue of cattle after double-decker cattle truck rollover, Bunnan Rd.
- Jun 28, 2016, 2:54 pm - Keep ash out of trash. Fireplace ash dumped in wheelie bin caused house fire recently. http://bit.ly/28Zf6TE [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/747654287212351488/photo/1 [external link]
- Jun 28, 2016, 11:05 am - TAMWORTH | UPDATE: #Fire in office of 50mx20m building is out. 15 ppl evac'd. No injuries.
- Jun 28, 2016, 10:31 am - TAMWORTH | UPDATE: F/fighters have #fire under control and are now working to contain it. Everyone is accounted for.
- Jun 28, 2016, 10:20 am - TAMINDA, Tamworth | #FRNSW crews responding to a #fire in a large 2-lvl industrial blding, Lockheed St. F/fighting ops underway.
- Jun 28, 2016, 9:57 am - MENAI | #FRNSW at small gas explosion in food outlet at shopping centre, Allison Cr. Fire out. 1 man with minor burns. 50 ppl evac'd.
- Jun 27, 2016, 11:01 pm - Crews from Goulburn (incl. NSWRFS), Crookwell, Harden, Mittagong, Bowral, Narellan, St. Andrews & ACT on scene at Goulburn building fire.
- Jun 27, 2016, 10:57 pm - GOULBURN update | 2lvl gov. services building well alight. #FRNSW @ACTFireRescue & #NSWRFS crews on scene. Adj. building being protected.
- Jun 27, 2016, 9:57 pm - GOULBURN building fire | #FRNSW crews on scene at a 2lvl building, Cartwright Pl. & Verner St. Top floor well alight. #NSWRFS assisting.
- Jun 27, 2016, 3:39 pm - DOUBLE BAY | UPDATE: #Fire has not spread into roof space. F/fighters now ventilating property & crews being cleared from scene.