Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding Fire Bans and other Fire Restrictions contact The NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking www.rfs.nsw.gov.au (NSW Rural Fire Service website), listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Spate of house fires prompts warning from Fire Chief
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are urging NSW residents to remain vigilant when it comes to home fire safety after a spate of house and unit fires since Friday...
Tuesday 10th December 2013
Mascot Fire Station turns 100
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today (Friday, 6 December) joined firefighters and community representatives to celebrate Mascot Fire Station's 100th anniversary. Commissioner Mullins said Mascot Fire Station's centenary...
Friday 6th December 2013
Major upgrade for Merriwa Fire Station
Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins today celebrated the completion of a major $550,000 upgrade of Merriwa Fire Station. Commissioner Mullins said the new station was more modern and better...
Tuesday 3rd December 2013
NEW BARRABA FIRE STATION UNVEILED
Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins and Kevin Anderson MP, the Member for Tamworth, today celebrated the unveiling of the new $852,000 Barraba Fire Station. "The NSW Government is committed...
Wednesday 27th November 2013
Check gas bottles and barbecues to avoid serious injury
NSW Ambulance and Fire & Rescue NSW have joined in highlighting the importance of people checking their gas bottles and barbecues for faults, to avoid the potential for injury. Since September...
Friday 15th November 2013
Firefighters battle major blazes overnight
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters fought a number of large fires across Sydney overnight. More than 35 fire crews responded to seven major building fires, including an explosion in a...
Thursday 14th November 2013
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Dec 12, 2013, 9:46 am - WATCH & RT | http://t.co/W6R1gRzFb6 Season's Greetings from #FRNSW Aberdeen (http://t.co/AhEVXRxOY5)
- Dec 12, 2013, 9:42 am - WATCH & RT | http://t.co/KajlEQyQ3C Season's Greetings from #FRNSW firefighters at Aberdeen (http://t.co/AhEVXRxOY5).
- Dec 12, 2013, 7:41 am - #FRNSW called to a unit #fire in a converted cottage, #MayfieldWest o'night. Approx 30% unit damaged by fire. All ppl accounted for.
- Dec 11, 2013, 3:09 pm - Brand new joint #FRNSW and #ASNSW station offically opened in #Bundeena today. Read more at http://t.co/LR0BFoifN5
- Dec 11, 2013, 12:46 pm - UPDATE #Corowa: Fumes from new 70,000L hot water tank. F/fighters have vented tank and area. 7ppl taken to hospital. 55 evacs returning.
- Dec 11, 2013, 12:43 pm - UPDATE #Corowa: Fumes from a new 70,000L water tank. F/fighters have vented tank and area. 7ppl taken to hospital. 55 evacs returning.
- Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 am - #FRNSW is conducting air monitoring at #Corowa abattoir after reports 5 ppl have nausea from fumes. Blding being evac'd as precaution.
- Dec 11, 2013, 9:41 am - #FRNSW at a truck accident Phillip St, #Parramatta. Rd closures affecting Marsden and Phillip Sts. No injuries. @LiveTrafficSyd
- Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 am - #FRNSW at a top floor unit #fire in 3 storey unit block at #Kingswood. 15 ppl evac'd. F/fighting ops underway.
- Dec 10, 2013, 9:25 pm - #FRNSW have ext'd a house #fire at #Greystanes. Fire started in kitchen & spread to ceiling. 1 fm evac'd. House severely damaged.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station