Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Hazard reductions at Morisset
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Morisset this week, pending favourable conditions.Today, Thursday, 13...
Thursday 13th August 2015
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Oct 5, 2015, 12:12 pm - CAMPSIE | #FRNSW at house fire - back of house alight, 8 ppl self evac'd. F/fighting ops underway.
- Oct 5, 2015, 6:16 am - GRIFFITH | #FRNSW crews fighting house #fire. Derelict house well alight. Fire ops underway.
- Oct 4, 2015, 7:30 pm - And make sure your smoke alarm has new batteries.. just in case you over-cook that umbel pie @LondonFire. @Wallabies @QldFES
- Oct 4, 2015, 6:35 pm - HEXHAM | #FRNSW at house #fire, 2 storey building unoccupied, multiple 000 calls. F/fighting ops underway.
- Oct 4, 2015, 2:40 pm - MULGRAVE | #FRNSW responding to #fiire in industrial estate, Wingate Rd, smoke coming from 1 unit.
- Oct 4, 2015, 10:41 am - #FRNSW f/fighters racing up SydneyTower Eye raising $160K+ for motor neurone disease research #firiesMND http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/650455555425742848/photo/1 [external link]
- Oct 3, 2015, 6:49 pm - QUEANBEYAN | #FRNSW crews working to contain unit #fire. 2nd lvl unit alight. Fire ops continuing.
- Oct 3, 2015, 2:01 pm - WARATAH WEST | #FRNSW fighting house #fire. Fire started in kitchen, spread to roof. House well alight. Fire ops underway.
- Oct 3, 2015, 12:40 pm - NORTH ROCKS | UPDATE: #FRNSW crews using foam to exting' truck #fire. M2 still closed city bound. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/650138367959527424/photo/1 [external link]
- Oct 3, 2015, 11:21 am - NORTH ROCKS | #FRNSW crews containing truck #fire M2. Truck carrying cars alight. Fire ops underway.
- Oct 2, 2015, 4:25 pm - #FRNSW Supt. Ian Krimmer - BBQ Safety Tips on #SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/frnswmedia/bbq-safety [external link]
- Oct 2, 2015, 3:54 pm - BANKSTOWN | UPDATE: Quick action from #FRNSW crews has exting'd the #fire in demountable shed. No injuries reported.