Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Countdown to Open Day
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Hazard reduction in Bateau Bay
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Wyong Shire Council, will undertake a hazard reduction operation in Morley Ave, Bateau Bay today <Thursday 20 March >. FRNSW Central Coast Zone...
Thursday 20th March 2014
Over 65s must heed warning
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has urged elderly residents, their families and carers to change their smoke alarm batteries when Daylight Saving ends on Saturday, 6 April. Those...
Wednesday 12th March 2014
Firies and SES volunteers put helicopter rescue skills to the test
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters and NSW State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers put their flood rescue skills to the test today [26 February] in a series of exercises conducted...
Thursday 27th February 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW engines and firefighters head to Victoria
Ten Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) engines, including two specialist high-rise firefighting vehicles, and 30 firefighters headed to Victoria this afternoon to assist firefighters from the Victorian Fire Services, who...
Wednesday 19th February 2014
Applications open: Firefighter recruitment campaign starts
Today (30 January) Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) launches its 2014 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign. More than 7000 applicants applied for 96 firefighter positions in 2013 with the same if not...
Thursday 30th January 2014
Australia Day medal for longest serving fire officer
With 52 years of dedicated service to Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and the title of NSW’s longest serving professional firefighter, Mosman Fire Station commander Bill King has been awarded...
Sunday 26th January 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Apr 23, 2014, 4:26 pm - #FRNSW | Shed fully involved in fire - Deniliquin. Fire ops underway. Fire is under control.
- Apr 23, 2014, 3:54 pm - UPDATE #BoltonPoint: #FRNSW crews have ext'd a boat #fire. Minor damage to adjoining property.
- Apr 23, 2014, 3:14 pm - #FRNSW at a boat #fire at #BoltonPoint. 8m boat on a trailer is well alight. Fire ops underway.
- Apr 23, 2014, 1:09 pm - #FRNSW at a house #fire at #Willmot. Cooking was alight in kitchen. Crews treating 3 ppl with smoke inhl'n.
- Apr 22, 2014, 8:19 pm - #FRNSW | House well alight - Madang St, Ashmont. 1 person injured. Fire ops underway.
- Apr 22, 2014, 3:26 pm - MRT @alrayner302: Great work by #Tamworth #FRNSW crews to extinguish this fire @madeline_s26: @nbnnews http://t.co/sYVV17inDQ
- Apr 22, 2014, 3:14 pm - UPDATE #WestTamworth: #Fire exting'd and contained to a front room. Contents severely fire damaged and smoke damage to rest of house.
- Apr 22, 2014, 2:34 pm - #FRNSW | House #fire - West Tamworth. First arriving #FRNSW crew reports house is well alight. Fire ops underway.
- Apr 19, 2014, 9:36 pm - UPDATE #Hurstville: Smoke from rubbish alight in car park lift shaft. #Fire contained in lower motor room.
- Apr 19, 2014, 9:11 pm - #FRNSW investigating smoke in a shopping centre, #Hurstville. 100 ppl evac'd.
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station