Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
NSW residents urged to change smoke alarm batteries
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) Assistant Commissioner Steve Yorke today urged families across the state to change the batteries in...
Wednesday 1st April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- May 23, 2015, 3:22 pm - Congratulations #FRNSW Lithgow Fire Station on your centenary! http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/601981627481239552/photo/1 [external link]
- May 22, 2015, 8:25 pm - PORT KEMBLA | UPDATE: #FRNSW crews have contained #fire at BHP steel works, exting'd spot fires. Position in hand.
- May 22, 2015, 7:35 pm - PORT KEMBLA | #FRNSW crews working to contain several #fires on conveyor belt at BHP steel works. Fire ops continuing
- May 22, 2015, 3:37 pm - TULLERA nr Lismore| #FRNSW crews assisting @NSWRFS at a shed #fire, Borton Rd. 30mx20m tin shed well alight. F/fighting ops under way.
- May 22, 2015, 3:18 pm - TULLERA nr Lithgow | #FRNSW crews assisting @NSWRFS at a shed #fire, Borton Rd. 30mx20m tin shed well alight. F/fighting ops under way.
- May 22, 2015, 12:19 pm - #FRNSW: 2 more fires in recalled Samsung washing machines - Granville 21/5, St Marys today. http://bit.ly/OqsTUy [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/601573125734576128/photo/1 [external link]
- May 21, 2015, 7:09 pm - CATHERINE FIELD update | F/fighters have put out small electrical fire in roof space.
- May 21, 2015, 6:26 pm - CATHERINE FIELD update | F/fighters accessing roof space & using thermal imaging camera to find source of smoke. #FRNSW @NSWRFS
- May 21, 2015, 5:58 pm - CATHERINE FIELD, Camden | Smoke coming from golf club blding roof, Raby Rd. #FRNSW assisting @NSWRFS. Staff evac'd patrons.
- May 21, 2015, 4:44 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: BLACK HILL: #JohnRenshawDr is closed in both directions near the #M1 (F3) due to a multi vehicle accident. Avoid area. …
- May 21, 2015, 4:36 pm - BERESFIELD | #FRNSW at a 4 vehicle accident on John Renshaw Dr. 2ppl trapped. Rd blocked in both directions. @LiveTrafficNSW for updates.
- May 21, 2015, 11:10 am - #Corlette house #fire started by recalled #Samsung wsh'ing machine.18th in a year. #FRNSW http://on.fb.me/1FxQQk0 [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/601193284346732544/photo/1 [external link]