Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Bush and grass fire information
For information regarding fire bans and other fire restrictions contact the NSW Rural Fire Service on 1800 679 737 or visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Stay up to date with the latest information about bush fires by checking the NSW Rural Fire Service website [external link], listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Plan and Prepare
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
South Grafton Fire Station celebrates 100 years
Member for Clarence, Chris Gulaptis, and Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins today joined firefighters and community representatives to celebrate South Grafton Fire Station’s 100th anniversary. Commissioner Mullins said...
Friday 13th November 2015
Firies warning after fatal house fires
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) has called for the community to take every precaution to avoid a fire in the home, following recent fatal house fires in NSW. Three people died...
Thursday 12th November 2015
City of Sydney Fire Station opening it's doors for Sydney Open 2015
Ever wondered what goes on inside the State’s busiest fire station? As part of Sydney Open 2015, City of Sydney Fire Station will be throwing open the engine bay doors...
Thursday 29th October 2015
Lane Cove National Park hazard reduction
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) and Ku-ring-gai Council will undertake hazard reduction operations in Lane Cove National Park and Browns End Reserve, Wahroonga,...
Thursday 8th October 2015
Hazard reductions at Morisset
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), with assistance from the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS), will undertake hazard reduction operations at Morisset this week, pending favourable conditions.Today, Thursday, 13...
Thursday 13th August 2015
Chilling spate of winter home fires
A spate of fires in homes over the past week and another forecast cold snap over coming days has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents to...
Thursday 16th July 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Nov 26, 2015, 5:46 pm - CARDIFF | #FRNSW crews containing #bushfire, Mitchell Rd. Approx 1ha alight. 1 power pole also on fire. @NSWRFS assisting.
- Nov 26, 2015, 4:36 pm - FAIRFIELD | UPDATE: Gas co. has stopped the leak. #FRNSW has made the area safe.
- Nov 26, 2015, 4:00 pm - Corowa and Albury #FRNSW crews released from assisting Vic #CFA at Wahgunyah bushfire. Fire is being contained.
- Nov 26, 2015, 3:47 pm - #FRNSW crews have been deployed to assist @NSWRFS at the Beecroft Peninsula #bushfire in the Shoalhaven.
- Nov 26, 2015, 3:28 pm - #FRNSW has responded to 39 bush/grass #fires since midnight. Crews currently at 3 bushfires & 5 grass #fires.
- Nov 26, 2015, 2:38 pm - KINCUMBER | UPDATE: #FRNSW f/fighters have rescued a trapped person after a 2 car accident at Bridget St & Empire Bay Dr.
- Nov 26, 2015, 2:24 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: MOSS VALE: #IllawarraHwy is closed in both directions between Church Rd and Jane St due to a grass fire. Avoid the area.
- Nov 26, 2015, 2:23 pm - KINCUMBER | #FRNSW at a 2 car accident at Bridget St & Empire Bay Dr. F/fighters working to rescue 1 trapped person. 4 others injured.
- Nov 26, 2015, 2:02 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: BUCHANAN: All westbound lanes closed on #HunterExp near Averys Ln due to bushfire. Westbound motorists diverted onto Jo…
- Nov 26, 2015, 1:49 pm - FAIRFIELD | UPDATED: #FRNSW at a gas leak at Fairfield St nr The Horsley Dr. Fairfield St blocked. Approx 550 students evac'd.
- Nov 26, 2015, 1:16 pm - FAIRFIELD | #FRNSW at a gas leak at Fairfield St nr The Horsley Dr. 400 ppl evac'd from nearby school as a precaution. Avoid the area.
- Nov 26, 2015, 1:03 pm - RT @LiveTrafficNSW: BUCHANAN: 1 of 2 westbound lanes closed on the #HunterExp near Averys Ln due to a bushfire. Exercise caution as smoke m…