Who we are and what we do
Fire & Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Product warnings and recalls
- Public warning on portable butane 'lunchbox' cookers [external link]
- Electrical safety recall of Samsung top loading washing machines [external link]
Firies urge caution as winter chill sets in
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters are reminding residents to be careful when it comes to electrical fire safety and home heating in the lead-up to this weekend’s forecast cold...
Friday 3rd July 2015
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins have officially recognised the courage and commitment of firefighters and members of the public who...
Tuesday 5th May 2015
Firefighters continue storm response
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have been busy responding to a total of 2,855 storm-related tasks over the last 36 hours across the Central Coast, Hunter and Sydney as...
Wednesday 22nd April 2015
Busy night for Fire & Rescue NSW firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Newcastle areas have responded to nearly 1000 storm-related jobs since late yesterday afternoon in one...
Tuesday 21st April 2015
New recruits join firefighting ranks
The latest batch of firefighters have today been welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) by Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Fire & Rescue NSW...
Friday 17th April 2015
Commissioner: We need more women as Firefighters
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is gearing up for its 2015 permanent firefighter recruitment campaign with a particular emphasis on attracting more women to the ranks.The 2015 permanent firefighter...
Thursday 9th April 2015
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
www.rfs.nsw.gov.au [external link]
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
www.ses.nsw.gov.au [external link]
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter [external link]
- Jul 3, 2015, 3:58 pm - TUNCURRY | #FRNSW at a bld'ing #fire on Manning St. Fire in shop on 1st lvl of 3 lvl bld'ing. All out. Fire ops underway.
- Jul 3, 2015, 11:16 am - MEDIA: #FRNSW Supt Tom Cooper stand-up re cold-snap home fire alert, 1pm, City of Sydney FS, 213 Castlereagh St. http://on.fb.me/1GSM2Sw [external link]
- Jul 3, 2015, 11:03 am - SHERWOOD nr Kempsey | #FRNSW aiding @NSWRFS at shipping container fire, Gowings Hill Rd. Container, used as a home, destroyed.
- Jul 3, 2015, 9:30 am - Electric blanket caused Penshurst unit fire earlier this AM. #FRNSW firies warn caution as winter chill sets in http://on.fb.me/1GSM2Sw [external link]
- Jul 2, 2015, 3:20 pm - EASTWOOD | #FRNSW at a car into a shop on Rowe St. Two people injured.
- Jul 2, 2015, 2:16 pm - HILLSTON | UPDATE: House #fire is out but home has been destroyed. Gas cylinders were removed from fire and rendered safe.
- Jul 2, 2015, 1:36 pm - HILLSTON | #FRNSW aiding @NSWRFS at house fire 15km from town, Roto Rd. House well alight. Gas bottles involved. All accounted for.
- Jul 1, 2015, 1:14 am - GLADESVILLE update | Quick work by #FRNSW crews stopped #fire spreading to adj. buildings. Fire ext'd, crews mopping up.
- Jul 1, 2015, 12:31 am - GLADESVILLE update | #FRNSW #fire ops. cont. Firefighters working to contain the fire & stop it spreading. http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/615890504345976833/photo/1 [external link]
- Jul 1, 2015, 12:29 am - GLADESVILLE | UPDATE: Over 60 f/fighters working to keep #fire contained to middle factory unit in block of three.
- Jul 1, 2015, 12:05 am - GLADESVILLE | Multiple #FRNSW crews responding to a factory #fire, College St. Fire in roof space of factory in row of factories.
- Jun 30, 2015, 3:01 pm - FRNSW issues home-made heater warning after this was discovered in a home last Sunday. http://on.fb.me/1Hvk8m5 [external link] http://twitter.com/FRNSW/status/615747034079834112/photo/1 [external link]