Fire and Rescue NSW's purpose is to enhance community safety, quality of life and confidence by minimising the impact of hazards and emergency incidents on the people, environment and economy of New South Wales. As one of the world’s largest urban fire and rescue services, we manage fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. We respond to rescues, hazardous materials incidents and possible terrorism activities across the State. We work with other government agencies to minimise the impact of bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, motor vehicle accidents and other emergencies. We also run prevention and preparedness programs to prevent these emergencies and reduce their impact on the community.
Apply or register your interest to become a Retained Firefighter NOW!
Search for your local Retained Fire Station by entering your postcode or suburb.
Or call 1800 Firies (1800 347 437) to be put through to your nearest Zone Office.
Automatic Fire Alarms
The False Alarm Charge will increase to $1250 from 1 July 2013
In 2012 FRNSW responded to over 46,000 Automatic Fire Alarms. 98% of these were false alarms.
False alarms put lives at risk. They encourage community complacency and divert resources away from genuine emergencies.
For additional information on how to reduce your false alarms visit the links below:
Suspected illegal dumping of asbestos at Ourimbah
Wyong Shire Council and Fire & Rescue NSW are currently on site at Brush Rd, Ourimbah, inspecting an incident suspected to involve illegal dumping of fibro cement sheeting that may...
Monday 7th July 2014
Winter fire safety warning after spate of home fires
A spate of fires in homes has prompted Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) to warn NSW residents not to leave fire safety to chance this winter and to take every...
Monday 7th July 2014
Be fire safe during cold snap
With strong winds and a drop in temperatures forecast tonight and tomorrow, Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Commissioner Greg Mullins has warned NSW residents to take precautions against fires in...
Monday 23rd June 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW and NSW Fair Trading issue winter warning about gas cabinet heaters
Following a fire at a Rose Bay unit on Tuesday night, Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins and NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe have reissued a warning on...
Thursday 12th June 2014
Hazard reductions continue in Sydney basin
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Warringah and Sutherland councils, will undertake hazard reduction operations in Sydney’s northern and southern suburbs today. FRNSW Bushfire Team Leader, Superintendent Steve Moran,...
Wednesday 28th May 2014
Hazard reductions in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Newcastle and Lake Macquarie councils and the NSW Rural Fire Service (NSWRFS), will undertake a number of hazard reduction operations in the...
Tuesday 27th May 2014
In an emergency call
Triple Zero (000)
Call the NSW Rural Fire Service: 1800 679 737
Floods and Storms
Call the SES: 132 500
What we're doing
Latest updates via Twitter
- Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 am - WARREN | #FRNSW called to small fire in a pub chimney flue o'night. F/fighters checked roof space for fire spread and made chimney safe.
- Jul 24, 2014, 5:15 am - HOUSE FIRES | O'nite #housesfires: Barnsley, Glenfield Pk, Winmalee, Mudgee, Kelso & Picton. 3 ppl treated for smoke inh. No other injuries.
- Jul 23, 2014, 12:20 pm - AUBURN | 150 ppl evacuated from a business park, Parramatta Rd, following an electrical fire. #FRNSW crews ventilating property.
- Jul 23, 2014, 10:57 am - LISTEN | Audio of #FRNSW Insp. Stewart Alexander - Albury High School fire from early AM | https://t.co/eTVoYKkIHB http://t.co/FhV7DGRCo9
- Jul 23, 2014, 9:27 am - #CASULA update | 1 male driver release from a taxi by #FRNSW rescue crews. Glenfield Rd closed in both directions.
- Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 am - #FRNSW at a multi-vehicle accident Whiteley Cl, #Casula. Persons trapped. Fire ops underway.
- Jul 23, 2014, 7:37 am - #FRNSW crews have exting'd a bedroom #fire in a #Barnsley house. 1 fm with minor burns & smoke inhl'n taken to hosp. Bedroom destroyed.
- Jul 23, 2014, 6:35 am - ALBURY | 1:30am, #fire in admin/class building of Albury High School ext'd by #FRNSW. Pic: @johnv604 http://t.co/EDABH3nStP
- Jul 22, 2014, 5:09 pm - UPDATE #Malabar: #FRNSW crews have exting'd a house #fire. House & contents totally destroyed by #fire. 1 man to hosp with smoke inhl'n.
- Jul 22, 2014, 4:30 pm - #FRNSW working to extinguish a house #fire at #Malabar. Fire in roof. 1 male evac'd. http://t.co/BxBivB708o http://t.co/pwC9RhPTZl
- Online Payments
- Automatic Fire Alarms
- Media releases
- Retained recruitment
- Hoarding and Squalor Fire Safety
- Lodge fire safety concern
- Building fire safety
- Fire safety for business
- Smoke alarms
- Recovery - After the fire
- Community Fire Units
- Right to information
- Find a fire station