Stage 3 Geography: Bushfire
Fire and Rescue NSW believe that this is an excellent opportunity for young people to gain a better understanding of the capabilities of FRNSW and the impacts of natural hazards and fires on people, property and the environment.
The FRNSW stage 3 geography bushfire presentation aims to provide students with a unique insight into to the effects of fire from a professional firefighter’s perspective. It also aims to enhance the resilience in young people before, during and after emergencies.
Target age group
Stage 3 Geography: Bushfire targets primary school students in Years 5-6. Unfortunately, every year too many young people die in fires. With greater knowledge and understanding on the impact of fire and ways to reduce its’ destructive nature, we can work together to reduce the loss of life.
What does Stage 3 Geography: Bushfire involve?
The FRNSW stage 3 geography bushfire presentation is a 45-minute presentation delivered by professional firefighters from Fire and Rescue NSW to schools.
The presentation should be used in the context of completing the DET Stage 3 Geography Bushfire unit of learning.
Program documents and resources
- DET Stage 3 Teaching and Learning Framework
- DET Stage 3 Geography Bushfire Mitigation
Would you like the FRNSW to visit your school?
Contact your local Fire and Rescue NSW station to organise a presentation from your local firefighters at your school.
Steps to a successful presentation
- School makes contact with local FRNSW fire station to arrange a visit
- Confirm date/time/location and provide a list of all student questions
- Firefighters attend school and deliver presentation (subject to operational requirements)
Key points to consider
- A teacher must be present with the group. The duty of care and responsibility for discipline and direction rests with the teacher.
- Please be mindful that all fire station crew are operational and may be required to respond to emergencies.
For further information please contact the Community Engagement Unit on (02) 9742 7179 or at email@example.com