Be safe with candles
Many residential fires attended by Fire and Rescue NSW each year are caused by unattended candles.
FRNSW firefighters are reminding residents to use candles safely by following the safety tips below.
- Never leave candles unattended or in places where they can fall or set alight flammable items such as curtains or upholstery.
- Make sure candles are on a secure base and never place them near an open window or near opened flammable liquid containers.
- Extinguish them if you leave the room and always before going to bed.
- Ensure matches or lighters are stored in a secure place out of reach and sight of children.
- Ensure you have working smoke alarms installed. Test them monthly.
- If you have any queries about smoke alarms or their installation, please contact your local fire station.
- Prepare and rehearse a home fire escape plan so you know the quickest routes out of your home if your smoke alarm activates.