Note: NEW DATES ARE HERE! Please keep an eye on this page or follow our FRNSW Work Experience Facebook Page [external link] for updates.
The Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) Work Experience Program provides participating students with an overview of the roles of FRNSW and its firefighters. It is delivered through both practical and theory sessions in a disciplined and safe working environment. Through this program, school students gain insight into FRNSW and develop employment related skills to enhance their vocational education.
Work Experience with us allows school students the opportunity to develop industry-specific skills and generic work skills in an authentic work environment.
By providing a work experience program, FRNSW assists schools to prepare young people for the workplace by providing meaningful workplace learning opportunities. As an employer FRNSW is acknowledged by the wider community for providing a work experience program that is highly valued by students, parents and careers advisors.
By participating in the work experience program, FRNSW is committed to being a highly valued contributor to the next generation of the Australian workforce.
This program is delivered by an experienced FRNSW Firefighter, via theory and practical activities, in a safe and disciplined workplace environment. It includes visits to FRNSW operational support areas and fire stations.
- roles and responsibilities of FRNSW, including specialist areas such as Hazmat, Rescue and Fire Investigation units
- occupational health and safety
- FRNSW employment conditions and recruitment information
- fire behaviour and firefighting techniques
- smoke awareness and fire safety information
- understanding and using fire extinguishers
- teamwork and communication
- hose and hydrant and pump operation drills
- safe driving (theory).
Participating students are expected to comply with FRNSW Work Experience Code of Conduct.
Where: Fire and Rescue NSW Emergency Services Academy, Orchard Hills
Duration: 4 days (Monday to Thursday)
Hours: 8am - 3:30pm
Steps to apply
- Download and read the information pack (PDF) with the student, school and guardian.
- Select 2 dates from the list and add them to the information pack.
- The school, student and guardian need to fill out and sign all sections of the forms. This needs to be done neatly so it can be read.
- Once the forms are filled out and signed, submit them to the work experience email. This can be done by either the student, school, or guardian.
- If the listed dates are available the student will be booked into the program and a confirmation email will be sent to the school, guardian, and student.
- If the student can no longer attend the program, please send an email to inform us.
Information Pack and Application Form
Download the Information Pack including Application Forms here (PDF)
Dates have been finalised for 2023 Terms 2, 3 and 4.
Please keep an eye on this page or follow our FRNSW Work Experience Facebook Page [external link] for any updates.
- Monday 15 May to Thursday 18 May
- Monday 17 July to Thursday 20 July
- Monday 31 July to Thursday 3 August
- Monday 7 August to Thursday 10 August
- Monday 14 August to Thursday 17 August
- Monday 21 August to Thursday 24 August
- Monday 28 August to Thursday 31 August
- Monday 9 October to Thursday 12 October
- Monday 16 October to Thursday 19 October
- Monday 23 October to Thursday 26 October
- Monday 6 November to Thursday 9 November
- Monday 13 November to Thursday 16 November
- Monday 20 November to Thursday 23 November
- Monday 27 November to Thursday 30 November
For any further enquiries regarding the FRNSW Work Experience Program please contact:
FRNSW Work Experience Coordinator
Phone: 02 9318 4399
Fire and Rescue NSW Emergency Services Academy
1 Distribution Drive,
Orchard Hills NSW 2748
Click here to learn about our new Fire and Rescue NSW Emergency Services Academy.