Hazard Reduction Burn - Manly
Published: 04 Sep 2020 09:00am
Today more than twenty crews from Fire and Rescue NSW will be conducting a large hazard reduction burn at North Head, Manly with approximately twenty hectares of dense bushland to be burned.
Taking advantage of the optimal weather conditions, todays burn is a collaborative effort between Fire and Rescue NSW, the NSW Forestry Corporation and the Rural Fire Service.
Hazard reduction burns are a major priority for the state’s fire authorities to assist in the preparation for the upcoming bush fire season. This area has been of concern for a sometime given its location and the density of the bushland.
Smoke may impact the area today and residents are advised to take the following precautions:
- Ensure windows and doors are closed to help prevent smoke entering their homes.
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns.
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage.
- Remove washing from clotheslines.
- Ensure pets have a protected area.
- Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on.
- Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety.
- People with asthma or lung conditions are advised to reduce outdoor activities. If smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
If you spot a fire that is unattended, please call Triple Zero (000).
Updated: 30 Jan 2023 09:15pm
Related safety topics
It“s the law to have at least one working smoke alarm installed on every level of your home.
Most people have a plan for what they will do during a bushfire. Unfortunately, not every plan will withstand the test of a bushfire. Take 5 minutes to improve or make a plan at www.myfireplan.com.au [external link]
Details about this incident may change and should not be used as emergency information and/or advice.
For all life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000)
For flood information, warnings or requests for non-life threatening assistance, call the SES on 132 500 or visit the NSW State Emergency Service website here. [external link].
For information directly relating to bushfires please call the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737 or visit the NSW Rural Fire Service Website here. [external link]
128 Sydney Road, Fairlight NSW 2094
730 Military Road, Mosman NSW 2088
38 Fisher Road, Dee Why NSW 2099