House Fire - Killara
Published: 07 Aug 2020 01:41pm
Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Gordon, Willoughby and Lane Cove Fire Stations attended the scene of a house fire in Killara just after 1pm this afternoon.
There are reports the fire started in the chimney and proceeded into the roof space of the home.
Firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, which is believed to have been caused by heat from the flue.
All occupants of the home were accounted for and there were no injuries.
Acting Superintendent Rob Jansen, says chimney and fireplace fires are preventable.
1. Ensure your flues and chimneys are regularly cleaned.
2. Place a fire screen in front of open fires to protect your family.
3. Have your chimney serviced prior to using it by a qualified tradesperson.
4. Ensure your wood pile sits at least a metre away from the fireplace.
5. Choose a safe place to store matches and lighters where children cannot reach and that is at least a metre away from the fireplace.
More images are available at the link below.
Updated: 30 Jan 2023 09:15pm
Details about this incident may change and should not be used as emergency information and/or advice.
For all life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000)
For flood information, warnings or requests for non-life threatening assistance, call the SES on 132 500 or visit the NSW State Emergency Service website here. [external link].
For information directly relating to bushfires please call the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737 or visit the NSW Rural Fire Service Website here. [external link]
966 Pacific Highway, Gordon (Pymble) NSW 2072
53 Laurel Street, Willoughby NSW 2068
8 Cook Street, Forestville NSW 2087