Fireplace Fire - Bass Hill
Published: 09 Jul 2021 12:26pm
Just before 12:30pm today, Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews responded to a granny flat fire on Broad Street at Bass Hill.
Firefighters extinguished the fire that originated from a fireplace and contained the fire spread in the ceiling.
Superintendent Adam Dewberry from Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) said this is a timely reminder that calling Triple Zero (000) for a fire emergency can be the difference between life and death, or a building or other property being saved or destroyed.
The Triple Zero (000) service is the quickest way to get the right resources from emergency services to help you. It should be used to contact Police, Fire or Ambulance services in life-threatening or time-critical situations.
Superintendent Adam Dewberry from Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) said chimney and fireplace fires are preventable.
1. Ensure your flues and chimneys are regularly cleaned.
2. Place a fire screen in front of open fires to protect your family.
3. Have your chimney serviced prior to using it by a qualified tradesperson.
4. Ensure your woodpile sits at least a metre away from the fireplace.
5. Choose a safe place to store matches and lighters where children cannot reach and that is at least a metre away from the fireplace.
Updated: 30 Jan 2023 09:15pm
Details about this incident may change and should not be used as emergency information and/or advice.
For all life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000)
For flood information, warnings or requests for non-life threatening assistance, call the SES on 132 500 or visit the NSW State Emergency Service website here. [external link].
For information directly relating to bushfires please call the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737 or visit the NSW Rural Fire Service Website here. [external link]
163 Waldron Road, Chester Hill NSW 2162
353 Liverpool Road, Bankstown NSW 2200
60 The River Road, Revesby NSW 2212