Barbecue Fire - Tweed Heads
Published: 23 Jan 2021 04:14pm
Just after 4pm, Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) responded to a building on Bay Street, Tweed Heads after receiving repeat calls to Triple Zero (000) with reports of smoke and flames issuing from a second-level unit.
Upon arrival, crews from Tweed Heads and Banora Point Fire Stations confirmed a barbecue on fire on the balcony of a second-level unit with the fire impinging on a bedroom.
Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the blaze and were able to prevent the fire from spreading further into the unit.
NSW Ambulance treated one person for smoke inhalation.
Superintendent Adam Dewberry from Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) said we are advising the public to ensure they follow the below steps before barbecuing this summer:
- Ensure you comply with any fire restrictions that may be in place such as total fire bans.
- Service and maintain your barbeque regularly
- Have a garden hose or similar continuous supply of water available at all times.
- If a gas leak does occur shut off the cylinder immediately and allow any gas to dissipate.
- Clear the surrounding area of combustibles before lighting a barbeque.
Updated: 30 Jan 2023 09:15pm
Details about this incident may change and should not be used as emergency information and/or advice.
For all life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000)
For flood information, warnings or requests for non-life threatening assistance, call the SES on 132 500 or visit the NSW State Emergency Service website here. [external link].
For information directly relating to bushfires please call the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737 or visit the NSW Rural Fire Service Website here. [external link]
1 Dry Dock Road, Tweed Heads NSW 2485
4/23 Corporation Circuit, Tweed Heads South NSW 2486
154 Marine Parade, Kingscliff NSW 2487