Hazard Reduction - Moruya Heads
Published: 24 Sep 2020 09:00am
A number of Fire and Rescue NSW crews are joining the NSW Rural Fire Service to conduct a hazard reduction burn in Moruya Heads this morning.
The hazard reduction takes advantage of optimal weather conditions and will occur on private land in Spinnaker Place, Moruya Heads.
Hazard reduction burns are a major priority for the state’s fire authorities to assist in the preparation for the upcoming bush fire season.
The burn will start from 9am and last for the majority of the day. Residents in the affected area are to be advised of increased smoke and to take the following precautions:
• Ensure windows and doors are closed to help prevent smoke entering their homes
• Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
• Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
• Remove washing from clotheslines
• Ensure pets have a protected area
• Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
• Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
• People with asthma or lung conditions are advised to reduce outdoor activities
• If smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
For a list of upcoming hazard reduction burns visit the Rural Fire Service website https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/hazard-reductions [external link]
If you spot a fire that is unattended, please call Triple Zero (000).
Updated: 30 Jan 2023 09:15pm
Related safety topics
It“s the law to have at least one working smoke alarm installed on every level of your home.
Most people have a plan for what they will do during a bushfire. Unfortunately, not every plan will withstand the test of a bushfire. Take 5 minutes to improve or make a plan at www.myfireplan.com.au [external link]
Details about this incident may change and should not be used as emergency information and/or advice.
For all life threatening emergencies, call Triple Zero (000)
For flood information, warnings or requests for non-life threatening assistance, call the SES on 132 500 or visit the NSW State Emergency Service website here. [external link].
For information directly relating to bushfires please call the Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737 or visit the NSW Rural Fire Service Website here. [external link]
15 Church Street, Moruya NSW 2537
1 Heradale Parade, Batemans Bay NSW 2536
3 Clarke Street, Narooma NSW 2546