Step 1. Application Process
Fire and Rescue NSW has identified psychometric testing as the most effective way to determine the suitability of candidates to progress forward, and the likely fit to the organisation.
The psychometric assessments used have been selected to align predictive future performance, beliefs and values of candidates to the role requirements and organisational values. Responses are reviewed by an external psychometric testing provider (Revelian) to generate a suitability score. This score is then used to rank candidates to determine who is selected to progress to the next step.
Candidates applying to become a Permanent Firefighter:
- Must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen. If you are a firefighter from another country, you will still need to satisfy these requirements before applying.
- Must have a minimum educational qualification at the level of HSC, Certificate III in any discipline or Trade Certificate.
- Must have a minimum of a Provisional (green) P2 driver's licence.
If successful, on completion of recruit training, graduates will be stationed in the Sydney metropolitan area. Please note opportunities for transfer to regional areas are limited.
Submit your application online
Once the campaign opens, candidates need to:
Complete an online application. Ensure you:
- Apply using the exact name on your driver licence
- Attach your Driver's Licence (PDF, Word or HTML format only)
- Respond to the 2 targeted questions
- Click on the submit button to have your application registered
You are also strongly advised to read the recruitment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Candidate Information pack.
Please note: Online assessment invitations will be sent immediately after you submit your application. You will have 4 days (96 hours) from that date and time of your email to complete the assessments.
Note: FRNSW communicates to all candidates via the email address you provide in your application - please ensure that you monitor your inbox regularly.
Candidates will receive an email invitation to complete a series of online assessments after the application period has closed. This step must be completed within four days of receiving an invitation to participate. The online assessment is made up of;
- Cognitive ability: This assessment examines your verbal, numerical and abstract reasoning, and your ability to acquire, retain, organise and apply information. This test has a 20-minute time limit. You can access an example cognitive ability test at http://www.revelian.com/example-questions-cognitive-ability/ [external link].
- Work safety assessment: This assessment will ask you to indicate your attitudes and opinions toward a variety of safety-related statements and situations. This assessment is not timed but should take approximately 15 minutes to complete.
- Work reliability scale: This assessment will ask you to indicate your attitudes and opinions toward a variety of work-related statements and situations related to employee honesty and reliability. This assessment t, is not timed but should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
- Emotify: This assessment will require you to complete two engaging, interactive assessments that ask you to correctly identify emotions based on facial expressions, and to understand the emotions people feel in different situations. This assessment is has two “mini-games” that are timed and will require approximately 20 minutes in total to complete.
You should allow up to 2 hours to complete the assessments and it is advisable to complete the tests over the four days rather than in one sitting.
Your responses to the online assessments will be reviewed by an external psychometric testing provider. The responses from all four assessments are then used to generate an overall suitability score. This score is used to rank male and female candidates to determine who is selected to progress to the next step.
Note: follow the links below for tips to help you get the most out of psychometric tests.
- Revelian Candidate Frequently Asked Questions [external link]
- Revelian Candidate Online Support [external link]
Candidates with the highest suitability score will be invited to move forward to step 2 of the application process.