Fire and Rescue NSW open day moves online
Published: 19th May 2020
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, Fire and Rescue NSW will be moving their open day online to protect both our community and our staff.
The open day will now run via our website and social media from 10am Saturday 16 May until 4pm Friday 22 May.
The community can get in touch with their local fire station throughout the entire week with station tours being live streamed on Facebook.
Superintendent Michael Jay Manager Community Engagement Unit said the online Fire and Rescue open week was a great way for the community to ensure their homes are fire safe this winter. “There will be an opportunity for the community to have a virtual tour of their local station as well as question and answer time with firefighters.
“As we move into winter it is important for every home to be fire safe, our firefighters can walk you through how to check your smoke alarms and help you come up with a fire escape plan.” Supt Jay said.
FRNSW has provided the following tips for fire safety in the home:
- Only working smoke alarms double the chance of survival – regularly check your alarm is working.
- Keep looking when cooking - do not leave cooking unattended at any time.
- Know and practice your fire escape plan
- Don’t overload power points and power boards.
- Always keep a meter from the heater
- If there is a fire get out, stay out and call Triple Zero (000)