Hazard reduction at Dingley Dell, St Ives
Published: 11th November 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Ku-ring-gai Council, will undertake a hazard reduction operation today at Grevillea Ave, St Ives.
The hazard reduction burn will cover 5.2ha and involve up to 20 firefighters. Ignition is expected to start at 10 am and the burn is expected to take a number of hours.
There will be a lot of smoke due to the high volume of fuel. Residents in these areas should not be alarmed and should only call Triple Zero (000) in the event of an emergency.
Residents in the area are advised to take the following precautions:
• Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
• Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
• Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
• Remove washing from clotheslines
• Ensure pets have a protected area
• Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
• Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
• If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
A full list of hazard reductions is available on the RFS website – www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/hr