Hazard reduction at Macquarie Hills
Published: 24th September 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) and NSW Rural Fire Service (NSW RFS) will undertake a 6ha hazard reduction operation in Blaxland Rd, Macquarie Hills today.
Authorities are conducting the burn in preparation for the bushfire season.
Ignition will start from 10am and will involve five FRNSW and two NSW RFS crews.
Residents in the area should not be alarmed and should only call Triple Zero (000) in the event of an emergency.
They are advised to take the following precautions:
• Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
• Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
• Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
• Remove washing from clotheslines
• Ensure pets have a protected area
• Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
• Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
• If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
A full list of hazard reductions is available on the RFS website – www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/hr