New Recruits Join Firefighting Ranks
Published: 28th August 2014
After a long selection process and a gruelling 13 week course, 24 recruit firefighters have been officially welcomed into the ranks of Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW).
Attending the graduation ceremony at the FRNSW State Training College, Alexandria, Minister for Police and Emergency Services Stuart Ayres, congratulated the new recruits on successfully completing the course and said they were about to embark on a unique and rewarding career.
“These recruits have been trained in firefighting, road crash rescue, high-angle rescue, community risk management, fire science and hazardous materials response,” Mr Ayres said.
“They will join fire crews across greater Sydney and put that training to good use.
“I wish these men and women well in what is an important, but sometimes dangerous career, and I thank them for choosing a profession dedicated to protecting lives, property and the environment of NSW,” he said.
Mr Ayres said the recruits had been selected from thousands of men and women who applied for firefighting positions last year.
“We want communities throughout NSW to be served by a modern and dynamic firefighting workforce that reflects the diversity, culture and skills of society,” Mr Ayres said.
FRNSW Commissioner Greg Mullins said he was thrilled with the response FRNSW has had to this year’s recruitment.
“I know that this latest batch of recruits will uphold the high standards of integrity, courage and professionalism expected of a FRNSW firefighter,” he said.
The firefighters will take up positions across the Sydney metropolitan area, including Rydalmere, Sydney city, Woollahra and Leichhardt.
The new recruits are:
- Thomas Cooke – City of Sydney
- Scott Crawford - Woollahra
- Nathan Everett - Ryde
- Kurt Fegebank – City of Sydney
- Jawad Badran - Rydalmere
- Peter Bennett - Smithfield
- Nathan Boyle – City of Sydney
- Mitchell Brown - Woollahra
- Ryan Clarkstone – Cabramatta
- Andy Franco - Rydalmere
- Anthony Gibson - Leichhardt
- Melissa Hamilton - Gladesville
- Evan Knowles – Pyrmont
- Hugh Lloyd - Ashfield
- Kaitlyn Matuschka - Ryde
- Benn McCallum - City of Sydney
- Christopher Mizon – City of Sydney
- Jason O’Reilly - Fairfield
- Phillip Roche – Silverwater
- Danny Sheather – City of Sydney
- Conan Sinko – City of Sydney
- Jay Storey – Guildford
- Mitchell White – Leichhardt
- Michael Zemaitis - Pyrmont