Hazard reduction in northern Sydney
Published: 23rd May 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Ku-ring-gai Council and the CSIRO, will undertake a 2.5ha hazard reduction operation in West Lindfield tomorrow (Saturday 24 May).
FRNSW Northern Suburbs Zone Commander, Superintendent Kel McNamara, said the hazard reduction operation would be held in Bradfield Rd, West Lindfield.
“FRNSW is undertaking this hazard reduction, in conjunction with the council and the CSIRO, in preparation for the bushfire season,” Superintendent McNamara said.
“Ignition will start from 11am and the operation is expected to take about five hours. Four FRNSW crews will be in attendance.
“This burn is a priority for the state’s fire authorities due to the extremely high fuel load in the area making it a bushfire risk.
“Smoke is expected to be visible from the city. Residents in the area should not be alarmed and should only call Triple Zero (000) in the event of an emergency.”
Residents around the hazard reduction burn area are advised to take the following precautions:
• Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
• Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
• Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
• Remove washing from clotheslines
• Ensure pets have a protected area
• Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
• Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
• If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
A full list of hazard reductions is available on the RFS website – www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/hr