Hazard reduction in Bateau Bay
Published: 20th March 2014
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW), in conjunction with Wyong Shire Council, will undertake a hazard reduction operation in Morley Ave, Bateau Bay today <Thursday 20 March >.
FRNSW Central Coast Zone Commander, Superintendent Jeff Macpherson, said the hazard reduction operation, covering less than one hectare, was being undertaken in preparation for the next bushfire season.
“Ignition will start from 9.30am and this operation will involve three FRNSW crews,” Superintendent Macpherson said.
“This burn is a priority for the state’s fire authorities due to the fuel load making it a bushfire risk.
“There will be smoke in the area but residents should not be alarmed and should only call Triple Zero (000) in the event of an emergency.”
Residents around the hazard reduction burn area are advised to take the following precautions:
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damageRemove washing from clotheslines
- Ensure pets have a protected area
- Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
- Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
- If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities. If smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
A full list of hazard reductions is available on the RFS website – www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/hr