Firefighters battle major blazes overnight

Published: 14th November 2013

Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) firefighters fought a number of large fires across Sydney overnight.

More than 35 fire crews responded to seven major building fires, including an explosion in a unit block at Glebe and a large warehouse fire in Punchbowl.

Just after 9pm, an explosion in a Bridge Rd unit block at Glebe threw glass across an area of about 50 metres. Three people were assisted from the building by firefighters and more than 50 people were evacuated; fortunately no one was injured. The cause is under investigation.

Firefighters saved a third of a warehouse at Belmore Rd, Punchbowl, after a blaze broke out shortly before 3am. The first arriving crew from Riverwood reported a large storage facility well alight, with the bright orange glow and intense heat radiating from inside the metal building. Twelve crews from numerous fire stations responded and successfully stopped the fire from spreading to neighbouring businesses. No one was injured in the fire. The cause of the fire will be investigated.

During the night, firefighters were also called to:

  • A house fire at Sheahan St, Warwick Farm just before 1.30am. Fire crews stopped the fire from spreading the neighbouring homes.
  • A unit block at O’Reilly St, Parramatta, where a car fire in the basement destroyed two cars, four storage units and the plumbing and electricity to the block. About 30 people were evacuated when the fire broke out shortly after 2.30am.
  • A fire in an office building at MacMahon St, Hurstville. A cafe on the ground floor was totally destroyed by fire, which broke out around 3am.
  • A residential unit and pizza shop fire at George St, Windsor, at 4am. The fire caused the front window of the pizza shop to blow out on to the street for several metres. Six people were evacuated from neighbouring premises. The upstairs unit was totally destroyed.
  • A house fire a Basilisk Place, Whalan. A fire broke out in the unoccupied cottage before 6am this morning.

"Thankfully, no one was hurt at any of these fires," FRNSW Commissioner Greg Mullins said.

"Our ability to quickly and efficiently deploy numerous crews from around the Greater Sydney Area ensured firefighters were able to minimise property damage to nearby buildings and quickly prevent the fires from getting worse. A great job by all firefighters involved."