Members of the public honoured with Fire Brigades bravery awards
Published: 24th September 2009
Four members of the public have today received NSW Fire Brigades awards for their bravery in going to the aid of a grandmother and her infant granddaughter in a Blue Mountains house fire.
Emergency Services Minister Steve Whan paid tribute to the award recipients for their courage in entering the burning building to search for any other occupants and administering first aid to the fire victims.
NSW Fire Brigades (NSWFB) Acting Commissioner John Benson presented the four with Commissioner’s Commendations during a graduation ceremony for 20 new firefighters at the Brigades' State Training College in Alexandria.
"The men and women receiving these Commendations today were going about their daily lives when they were confronted with a dangerous situation and put their own safety at risk to help others in desperate need," Mr Whan said.
"On June 6 this year, Daniel Arabi, off-duty paramedic Paul Hughes and his wife Marcella and RFS volunteer firefighter Linda Dvorak went to the aid of Woodford resident Carol Wright, who had managed to escape a house fire with her 21-month-old granddaughter.
"Mr Arabi, Mr and Mrs Hughes and Mrs Dvorak entered the house, despite the thick smoke and dangerous conditions, to search for other occupants and administered first aid to Mrs Wright and her granddaughter until the emergency services arrived.
"These people put their own lives on the line to ensure the safety of others. I am proud to see their acts of bravery recognised with the awarding of the NSWFB Commissioner's Commendations.
"Their actions will be an inspiration for the 20 new graduates joining the Brigades today.
"I know the State's newest firefighters will live up to the proud traditions of the NSWFB and I wish them all the best for their careers."
NSWFB COMMISSIONER'S COMMENDATION RECIPIENTS
Award recipient Award
- Mr Daniel Arabi - Commissioner's Commendation for actions at a house fire on 6 June 2009
- Mr Paul Hughes - (Ambulance Service of NSW) Commissioner's Commendation for actions at a house fire on 6 June 2009
- Mrs Marcella Hughes - Commissioner's Commendation for actions at a house fire on 6 June 2009
- Mrs Linda Dvorak- (NSW Rural Fire Service) Commissioner's Commendation for actions at a house fire on 6 June 2009
NEW NSWFB FIREFIGHTER GRADUATES
Firefighter - Station
- Paul Muraczewski - Alexandria
- Anthony Malivindi - Campsie
- John McNeill - Chester Hill
- Jennie Sullivan-McPhee - Chester Hill
- Shane Armstrong - City of Sydney
- James Bolton - City of Sydney
- George Cheeke - City of Sydney
- Jason Hall - City of Sydney
- Thor Hansen - City of Sydney
- Phillip Riley - City of Sydney
- Mark Thompson - City of Sydney
- Mark Foscholo - Cranebrook
- Elki Sanchez - Drummoyne
- Jonathon Ferry - Liverpool
- Peter Martin - Parramatta
- Howard Rock - The Rocks
- Andrew Ryan - Rydalmere
- Martin Arango - Schofield
- Timothy Lloyd - Seven Hills
- Martin Zeballos - Silverwater