Northern beaches hazard reductions today
Published: 6th November 2013
Fire & Rescue NSW (FRNSW) is undertaking two hazard reduction operations on the northern beaches today.
The hazard reductions will be held at Stapleton Park, Riviera Ave, Avalon (approx 2.5ha) and Washington Ave Reserve, Cromer (more than 1ha).
Ignition will start from 10.30am and these operations will involve five FRNSW fire crews at Avalon and three FRNSW crews at Cromer.
“These burns are a priority for the state’s fire authorities due to the high fuel load in the area making it a bushfire risk,” FRNSW Bushfire Team Leader, Inspector Steve Moran, said.
“There will be a lot of smoke due to the high volume of fuel. Residents in the area should not be alarmed and should only call Triple Zero (000) in the event of an emergency,”
Residents around the hazard reduction burn area are advised to take the following precautions:
• Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
• Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
• Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
• Remove washing from clotheslines
• Ensure pets have a protected area
• Vehicles must slow down, keep windows up, turn headlights on
• Sightseers must keep away from burns for their own safety
• If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice.
A full list of hazard reductions is available on the RFS website – www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/hr