Home fire escape plan - grid & instructions
In the event of a fire a working Smoke Alarm used in conjunction with an Escape Plan will greatly increase your chances of getting out safely.
Escape plan steps
- Help those is immediate danger
- Close the door to stop the fire spreading
- Get down under the smoke and go outside
- Go to your meeting place. Do NOT go back!
- Call Triple Zero (000) from a safe location
Printable escape plan grid template
An empty grid appears on the downloadable print version of the Escape plan grid (PDF, 600KB) so you can draw your own home fire escape plan.
Escape plan instructions
- Include two means of escape from each room.
- Discuss it with other occupants.
- Make sure that windows and screens can be easily opened.
- Provide alternatives for anyone with a disability.
- The first priority is to get out of a burning house.
- If there is a fire close the door as you are leaving a room to prevent fire and smoke from spreading.
- When there is smoke, always crawl low to get under the smoke.
- Decide on a safe outside meeting place eg. near the letterbox and phone Triple Zero (000) from a safe phone.
- Once you get out, STAY OUT, never go back inside a burning building.
- Practise your plan at least twice a year, making sure that everyone is involved.